Easy Chocolate Peppermint Toffee for Christmas
Easy Saltine Cracker Toffee Makes a Great Christmas Dessert or Gift
I love to make cracker toffee. It only requires five ingredients, takes less than 15 minutes to cook, requires virtually no culinary skill (perfect for me!), and my kids love it. During the holidays, I add crushed candy canes to turn the normal chocolatey treat into an easy chocolate peppermint toffee that is great for dessert. If you're looking for an easy chocolate Christmas dessert recipe, give this a try.
(Photo by Lisa Howard)
Chocolate Peppermint Toffee Recipe
Make it with nuts, crushed candy cane or your choice of topping
Chocolate peppermint toffee is easy to make. You'll need only a few ingredients, a few minutes for cooking, and time for cooling.
- 1 package saltine crackers (about 3 dozen)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 package chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup nuts or crushed candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 10Ã15 inch baking tray with foil and lay crackers in rows along the bottom until the entire tray is covered with a single layer of crackers. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour the sugar mixture over the crackers, making sure to cover the crackers completely.
4. Place in the oven and bake for 7-8 minutes until the mixture is bubbly.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the mixture. Allow the chocolate chips to sit for 2-3 minutes until they're soft and then spread evenly with a spatula.
6. Top with chopped nuts or crushed candy cane.
7. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to cool. Break into chunks and serve.
(Image by Lisa Howard)
Saltine Cracker Toffee Video - See a live demonstration of this easy toffee recipe
This video demonstrates how to make saltine cracker toffee. This version uses pecans rather than crushed peppermint candy, but the basic steps are the same.
Chocolate Peppermint Toffee Makes a Great Christmas Gift
Give it in a personalized gift tin
Chocolate peppermint toffee makes a great Christmas gift, especially when given in personalized gift tins like the one shown below.
Personalized Gift Tin available from ShinDigz
More Easy Desserts - Ideas for easy treats
Chocolate Peppermint Toffee