Easy Fresh Bruschetta
The combination of fresh plum tomatoes. sweet onion and fragrant basil on a lightly buttered, toasted baguette slice is an appetizer that will bring in crazy good compliments. I have been making bruschetta for years and for me the addition of sweet onion and lemon juice takes this traditional appetizer to a new realm. If you want to take it up another notch, add in a few crushed red pepper flakes for a spicy twist.
- 6 plum tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole wheat baguette
- 2 tbls butter melted
- In a medium bowl combine onion, tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Slice baguette into 1/2 inch slices.
- Brush each slice with butter.
- Broil 1-2 minutes or until slices are lightly browned.
- Top each slice with tomato mixture.