Easy Grilled Vegetables for the Barbecue
Don't forget the veggies
It's so easy to grill vegetables on the BBQ. Often we're so wrapped up in getting the meat just right that we overlook the basic vegetables which make up a tasty and nutritious meal.
You can grill vegetables directly on the BBQ grill, in a mesh basket type of container or wrapped in foil.
However you choose, grilled vegetables are a welcome addition to your outdoor meal.
Grilled Capsicum Peppers
Rinse the peppers first to make sure they're clean and pat dry. Make sure they're dry!
If you wish, you can wrap them in foil, but I like the light taste of the oil and rosemary
- 3 large capsicums
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 2 cloves og garlic
- 2 -3 sprigs of rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Remove the stems from the capsicums and quarter them. Remove the seeds and white ribs.
- Place the capsicums in a bowl and pour the olive oil over top. Drop in the rosemary. Swirl about for a few minutes. Drain.
- Place the capsicums on the hot grill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for another 2 minutes. Remove.
A little dampness on the mushrooms is fine - heat from the grill will bring out some steam to make the mushrooms semi-poached.
- 4 Portabello Mushrooms
- Break off the mushrooms' stems flush with the caps.
- Fill your bowl with cold tap water and soak mushrooms for about a minute each.
- Place on grill for a minute each side
Grilled Eggplants Aubergines
I'm an eggplant fan myself but not all my friends like them - except on the barbecue!
Don't peel eggplants before grilling, the skin will holds the pieces together.
If they want to stick to the grill, use a little more oil.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes
- 2 -4 small to medium eggplants
- 2 -3 cloves of gralic
- Olive oil
- Rinse and dry the eggplant
- Cut off the ends and discard them.
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into thick slices Put the slices s in a bowl and toss with the garlic and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the slices over direct heat until they're well browned, 4-6 minutes per side.
Prep Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 4 minutes
Make sure to place the spears perpendicular to the grill bars
- Bunch of asparagus
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Snap off the hard stem
- Drizzle with some olive oil and place on a hot grill.
- They just take a few minutes, turning once.
- To serve, just a few grindings of fresh black pepper and some sea salt with a bit of fresh lemon zest.
Mixed Marinated Vegetables on Skewers
Soak your skewers in cold water for at least an hour
- 1 eggplant
- 2 capsicums
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 large portabello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup oilive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Chop, peel and dice the vegetables to suit
- Place them in a medium bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, basil and garlic. Pour the mixture over the vegetables, cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Place vegetables directly on skewers and put them on the hot. grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, brushing frequently with the marinade,
Grilled Garden Vegetables
How about you?
How often do you grill vegetables for the BBQ?
All comments are greatly appreciated. You don't have to be on the barbecue to leave yours
© 2011 Susanna Duffy