- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Easy Homemade Chocolate Milk Ice Cream Recipe
Normally, when I make a new flavor of ice cream, I have a tried and true formual. I never deviate from it very much because it works ("If it’s not broke, don’t fix it"). However; I do enjoy a challenge. So, after making one batch of ice cream I had a little left over heavy cream (1 cup) and some whole milk I needed to use up. (Also, I had only 5 eggs instead of the 6 I normally use.) So, I thought that a “chocolate milk” ice cream would be interesting. So, I thought I’d give it a try and it really turned out well. So this is a good recipe for ice cream if you don’t have a lot of, or any, heavy whipping cream (you can use whole milk as a substitute).
NOTE: If you DO have enough ingredients, use ¾ cup of whole milk for the chocolate syrup mixture, 6 egg yolks, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 cup heavy cream for the custard, and use 2 cups for the churning (3 cups of heavy cream all together).
¼ cup chocolate syrup (milk chocolate is good, dark chocolate is great)
¾ cup whole or D milk
1 tablespoon cold coffee
½ cup heavy cream (for custard)
½ cup whole or D milk (for custard)
5 egg yolks (for custard)
½ cup sugar (for custard)
1/8 salt (for custard)
½ cup heavy cream (for churning)
1 ½ cups whole or D milk (for churning)
1. In a (1 cup) glass measuring cup, measure out ¼ cup of chocolate syrup.
2. Fill to 1 cup level with ¾ cup milk.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of cold coffee.
4. Mix the three ingredients together, with a spoon, until well blended.
5. Cover and refrigerate, while you make the custard.
6. Place the 5 egg yolks in a small mixing bowl.
7. In a medium sauce pot combine the ½ cup sugar, salt, ½ cup milk and ½ cup heavy cream.
8. Heat on medium until hot but not boiling.
9. Add half of a mixture to the 5 yolks and whisk together.
10. Add yolk mixture back into the sauce pot and cook until tempered. (For a more detailed example of egg yolk tempering, see my other ice cream recipes; I’ve adding the links below.)
11. Strain custard through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl.
12. Press plastic wrap down on custard (completely covering it), and refrigerate for 2 hours.
13. After the allotted time has passed, mix together the chocolate milk mixture, custard, 1 ½ cups milk and ½ cup heavy cream.
14. Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
15. After completely churned to the desired level, scoop ice cream into a freezer safe, sealable container and freeze for 24 hours before serving.
More Ice Cream Recipe
- Mint Ice Cream With Mini Chocolate Chips Recipe
Here is a recipe for homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream. Enjoy!
- Homemade Pomegranate Ice Cream Recipe
Here's a recipe for a delicious Pomegranate Ice Cream. Enjoy!
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe
Here is a recipe for peanut butter ice cream. it's one of my favorites. Enjoy!
- Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
Here is a recipe for homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. Enjoy!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Recipe
Here is a recipe for homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Enjoy!
- Three Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
I love making homemade ice cream. I thought I would share some of my personal recipes and see if you like them as much as I do.