- Food and Cooking
An Easy Onion Soup Recipe That You Will Love!
My Easy Onion Soup Recipe Is Satisfying And Healthy Too!
Sometimes there is nothing more comforting and warming than a bowl of my steaming hot easy onion soup on a bitterly cold day.
Onion soup is fantastic when you are feeling peckish and it is easy to take carry in a thermos flask, so, I regularly make up this easy onion soup recipe to take to work for lunch or to have as a snack at home when I am feeling the cold, and, at less than 60 calories a serving my onion soup is great if you are trying to watch your weight.
This onion soup recipe is one in my series of 'Healthy Vegetarian Recipes'.
Click the links to view the other recipes.Easy, Creamy Eggplant (Aubergine)Curry ♥ Lentil Curry
Potato And Cauliflower Curry ♥ Spicy Leek And Potato Soup ♥ Celery Soup
Parsnip Soup ♥ Easy Onion Soup ♥ Curried Lentil Soup
The ingredients you will need to make my easy onion soup recipe
Just a few ingredients make for an easy and tasty onion soup
- low fat cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 600g onions (about 1lb 5oz) halved and sliced finely
- 1 diced potato (about 175g or 5oz in weight)
- 2 pints of hot vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme plus extra sprigs to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Its hard to believe that so few ingredients can make this onion soup so tasty.
I generally use vegetable stock concentrate, cubes or granules to make the stock for the onion soup, just add boiling water and it's done so its a real time saver.
Now we have got the ingredients together lets get ready to make the onion soup!
To Keep The Onion Soup Healthy...
My easy onion soup recipe uses
Low Fat Cooking Spray
to cut down on the calories!
What you need to do to make this easy onion soup
Just follow the directions to make this easy onion soup
- Spray a non stick saucepan with the low fat cooking spray and cook the onions, together with the sugar, over a low heat for about 12 to 15 minutes until the unions are golden in colour.
- Now add the potato, the stock and the thyme. Season with salt and pepper and cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until the potato is tender
- Liquidise the soup until the texture is smooth. I prefer to use a stick blender for this and liquidise the soup righ in the pan
- Check the seasoning and adjust to suit your taste
- Serve the soup garnished with the extra sprigs of thyme and enjoy!
Please do take your time to cook the onions carefully and slowly then the natural sugars in the onions will slowly caramelise!
My Onion Soup Recipe Uses Fresh Thyme...
but if you cant get hold of
fresh thyme try substituting with 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
This Easy Onion Soup Is Great To Take To Work For Lunch
And with a little addition the onion soup makes a yummy main meal too!
If I am having this onion soup as a main meal I like to top each serving with a 1 inch slice of French bread topped with grated cheese and grilled until golden and bubbling.
For More Warming, Tasty And Diet Friendly Soups
- French Onion Soup - from Delia Online
A truly comforting winter warmer, this classic French soup has stood the test of time and remains one of the most popular recipes on the site.
- English Onion Soup Recipe - Jamie Oliver
This winter-warmer will put colour back in your cheeks and a smile on your face.
- White onion soup | Gordon Ramsay |
White onion soup from Gordon Ramsay