Salted Duck Egg Fried Prawn
Easy & Delicious Prawn Dish
Prawn is a fantastic seafood, we can literally find abundance of fresh prawn in our local seafood market. And I particularly love salted egg fried prawn recipe created personally by my own brother & sister-in-law. It's a very simple dish, fresh and will only take less than 10 minutes to prepare and cook it. Perfect dish for every season.
I always crave for this food as it's extremely hard to find salted duck egg here in Australia. Even if I do find them, it's so expensive. But once in a while, I make my own home-made salted duck egg to satisfy my craving.
Image Source: My Own Personal Picture
What is Salted Duck Egg?
Salted duck egg is a duck egg which has been packed / covered in a salted charcoal. This will help to preserve the egg and make a delicious yummy egg. However, many people also make their home-made salted duck egg with salted water and even though the flavor may not be as rich and flavorsome as the egg which has been covered in a salted charcoal, however, home-made salted duck egg is still a great alternative if we can't find salted duck egg.
We must boil the eggs first because after the salt-curing process, the inside of the eggs will be very runny and it is extremely salty to be eaten by its own.
After we boil the egg, the inside of the salted duck egg is usually quite oily & the egg white is a bit runny; and this is the best & yummiest part of the salted duck egg. The egg while always saltier than the yolk but the yolk it more oily than the egg white.
Image Source: Creative Common Image - Wikipedia
Have you ever cooked with salted duck egg before?
You can also make home-made salted duck egg at home
It is extremely easy to make our own home-made salted duck egg. We only need duck egg, salted water and an airtight container to preserve & store these eggs for at least four weeks.
The video below shows exactly how it's done:
- 250 gr fresh prawn (whole with their shells)
- 1 clove of garlic - crushed
- 1 salted duck egg
- 2 bird's eye chili - finely chopped
- Green onions (just the green part) - finely chopped
- Oil / Margarine
- 1. Lightly whisk the salted duck egg in a bowl, set aside.
- 2. Fry the fresh prawn in hot oil in a deep frier until half-done. Dry the excess oil & put aside.
- 3. Add 1tsp of oil in a wok, toss in garlic & chili for 30 seconds.
- 4. Add the salted duck egg, roughly stir the egg using wooden spatula. Cook it for 1 - 2 minutes
- 5. Then, mix it with the fried prawn. Mix them well together.
- 6. Ready to serve.
- Image Source: My Own Personal Picture
The Perfect Cooking Utensils to Cook Easy Prawn Dish
For any Chinese Food Simple Dish, we need to cook it in a wok. Tt's essential that the wok is heated pretty quickly, and retain the heat really well. The wok's material is also important, never purchase any cheap wok as usually it's made from cheap material and it's extremely thin which makes the wok becomes extremely hot and it's dangerous. I bought a cheap wok before and was dissapointed as it burns most of what I've cooked even though I only cook it for less than 1 minute!
This Helen Chen's Asian Kitchen Carbon Steel is one of the perfect non-stick wok. The size is big enough and its heavy weight carbon steel body will make sure the heat distributed evenly and won't burn any of our food. The handles are bamboo, perfect!
Tips to Make the Perfect Salted Egg Prawn
- Use the freshest prawn and never overcooked the prawn. Perfect cooked prawn will be juicy, moist and tender.
- Clean the prawn with fresh water & lime juice to remove the smell and dry it with clean sheet until completely dry.
- Fry/dip the prawn head for around 30 seconds first before frying the whole prawn. It will make the prawn head crispier.
- If you can't find the raw salted duck egg, you can use cooked salted duck egg. But I highly recommend you to only use the yolk. Crush the yolk roughly and mix it with 2 - 3 tsb of chicken stock. Stir fry it in the wok for 1 minute and then add the fried prawn.
- Substitute oil with margarine, as it will enrich the flavor
- If you use raw salted duck egg, you won't need to add extra salt, as it's already salty. However, it will be based on personal taste. Feel free to add extra seasoning to this dish.