- Food and Cooking
Easy Spanish Rice Recipe
Mexican rice is one of my favorite recipes
Do you love Spanish rice? It is one of my favorite Mexican recipes. Spanish rice seems to go with any other Mexican food you can make.
If you make enchiladas, you want Spanish rice to go with it, and frijoles, of course! If you make chiliquilas, Spanish rice will be the perfect side dish, along with a salad. Honestly, I can't think of any Mexican food that doesn't go well with Spanish rice. Therefore it is very important to know how to make it if you want to create a complete Mexican style dining experience.
About Spanish Rice
...traditional Mexican food recipe.
My recipe for Spanish rice is very easy to make. VERY easy. I hope you love it... I've got this one memorized because I love Spanish rice so much.
I've included my recipe for making tomato bullion. Tomato bullion is an ingredient for Spanish rice. The tomato bullion sold in stores includes "chicken flavor" and since I'm a vegetarian I don't want anything with chicken flavor no matter what that is made from. So I've developed a recipe for making homemade tomato bullion that you can freeze in ice cube trays and slip into the freezer for future use. Put a couple of those ice cubes in with your rice and you'll have the perfect tomato flavor for your Spanish rice.
On to the recipes!
You'll need bullion to make your Spanish Rice. You may not want store-bought bullion because it contains "chicken flavor". It is much better to make it at home, then freeze into cubes and store in the freezer. Very convenient, and easy to make!
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 46 oz. bottle or can of tomato juice
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (dried) or 1 teaspoon fresh
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In soup pot on low heat saute onion in olive oil until slightly golden. Add all other ingredients, bring to boil then lower heat all the way and cook slowly, while occasionally stirring, for about fifteen minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool, then pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Place bullion cubes in a freezer bag for later use in Spanish Rice recipe.
I remember having these trays - in my mom's house, long ago. Then the blue plastic trays came along and were cheap to buy and easy to use. Sort of. Seemed like there was always an ice cube or two that didn't want to come out. Well, I saw this on Amazon and am wildly enthusiastic about going back to metal. There are some less expensive aluminum trays available there, but I prefer this stainless steel tray - I think that's the healthist metal to use - don't you?
Easy Spanish Rice Recipe - ...mmm... delicious!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 frozen cubes of bullion (see recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 medium tomato chopped into very small pieces
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium tomato sliced into thin wedges
- chopped green onion for garnish
- In large frying pan brown the rice in the olive oil over a low heat.
- Add chopped onion and stir. Add frozen bullion cubes and stir, letting these melt.
- Add cumin, garlic, salt, and chopped tomato. Stir.
- Add in water, stirring as you bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Lastly, spread the sliced tomato wedges on top and do not stir.
- Cover and cook on very low heat for twenty minutes.
- When cooked, garnish with chopped green onion and serve.
I started making this Spanish rice recipe when I worked in a small restaurant that served Spanish rice along with enchiladas on Fridays. This is the kind of electric frying pan we used to make our Spanish rice there. It worked great, and has a glass lid so you can see the Spanish rice cooking.