- Food and Cooking
Easy to Make Chutney Recipes with Coconut, Onions and Tomatoes
Chutneys are very easy to make. Chutneys can be made with many ingredients and goes with Indian dishes such as Idlis, Dosas, Vadas, Upuma, Pongal.
Chutneys are great to use as spreads to make sandwiches. Chutneys can be stored in the fridge for about a week in airtight containers.. These chutneys are highly nutritious and good for health.
Presenting chutneys using coconut, tomatoes, and onions in different combinations.
Image Credits - All images are my own.
Coconut Chutney Recipe
Fresh Coconut scrapings - 2 cups
Green Chilies -1 in number
Small piece of ginger
Roasted gram - 2 tablespoons
Salt to taste
Grind all the above the ingredients in a grinder to a fine paste and transfer contents to a serving bowl.
For garnishing heat one small teaspoon of oil. Add half a teaspoon of mustard seeds in the oil, let it splutter. Pour the oil with mustard seeds on top of the chutney.
--Coconut Chutney Variations--
Add a cup of fresh coriander leaves for Coconut Coriander Chutney
Add a cup of mint leaves for Coconut-Mint Chutney
You can even add both coriander leaves and mint leaves for extra flavor. You can store this chutney in an airtight container for two days.
Coconut Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe
5 teaspoons of oil for frying
3 Dry red chilli
One teaspoon oil for garnishing
Half a teaspoon mustard seeds
--Step by Step Instructions--
1. Cut the onions into small pieces
2. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces
3. Heat oil in a pan
4. Add the onions and fry until golden brown
5. Add the tomatoes
6. Sprinkle water and close the pan with the lid for two minutes till the tomato pieces are tender and cooked
7. Add the coconut gratings.
8. Transfer the contents from the pan onto a plate.
9. Add salt
Let the ingredients cool down. Grind to a fine paste and transfer contents to a serving bowl.
Heat a teaspoon of oil. Add the mustard seeds let them splutter. Pour this over the Coconut Onion Tomato Chutney. You can store this in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 weeks.
Onion and Tomato Chutney Recipe
4 big onions
3 big tomatoes
1 cup of cooking oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
Salt to taste
---Step by Step Instructions--
1. Cut the onions and tomatoes into small pieces (need not be very small)
2. Grind the onion and tomato pieces to a fine paste
3. Heat the cup of oil in a wide pan
4. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter
5. Add the onion and tomato paste to the oil
6. Add salt and cover with a lid on low flame
7. Cook till it becomes thick in consistency
8. Add the chilli powder and mix thoroughly
After it becomes thick transfer to a bowl. The Onion and Tomato Chutney is ready to be served. You can store this chutney for one month in the fridge in an airtight container.