- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Easy Watermelon Salad Recipe
Fast, Easy, Delicious, Nutritious and Beautiful-to- look- at Watermelon Salad
This page contains a recipe for watermelon salad. It's a vegetarian and gluten free recipe, reminiscent of Greek salad. This main dish is beautiful to look at, tasty to eat and simple to prepare.
Its a perfect summer dish, but nobody will complain if you serve it year round. Watermelon salad makes a good salad entrée or a good side dish.
If you can bear to stop eating your watermelon slices just as they are, set aside a few luscious pieces and make this excellent watermelon salad. As the title says, this salad is fast and easy to make. Its absolutely delicious and its chock full of nutrients. And, as icing on the cake, its so pleasing to look at that it perks up any picnic lunch, salad bar or dinner table.
Also, just for fun, try the Watermelon Quiz at the bottom of the page. Find out how much you really know about this summer favorite.
Best Use for Watermelon
What's your take on this matter?
Would you make this wonderful melon into a salad? Or do you think watermelon's role is to be eaten in slices the way nature intended?
Would you make a watermelon salad?
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups watermelon, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh mint optional
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Instructions for Making the Salad
- Combine chopped watermelon, cucumber and feta cheese.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the garlic clove, wine vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad with the vinaigrette. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Optionally, top with fresh mint, chopped walnuts or both.
- To make the recipe vegan, omit the cheese. Consider using walnuts to add a protein source.
Adaptations for Non Vegetarians or Vegans
Serve this for lunch or dinner, as a main course or as a starter salad.
Non vegetarians may want to serve this with grilled shrimp or chicken on the side. Adding protein isn't really necessary, though, because the feta cheese is a protein source.
To make this recipe vegan, eliminate the cheese and add grilled tofu or cooked quinoa as a protein source.
Nutritional Facts About Watermelon
According to Self Nutrition Data, watermelon has the following nutrients, per one cup serving:
0 grams of fat
12 grams of carbohydrate, total
1 gram of protein
Cucumber Nutritional Facts
I couldn't locate nutritional facts for peeled cucumber. SelfNutrition Data reports that cucumber with peel has the following nutrients per half cup serving.
2 grams of carbohydrate (total)
and a very good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Potassium.