- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Eating Rice with Vegetables and Meat Every Day
Living a freelancer's life often means staying inside the house day-in and day-out while working on unlimited projects. Cooking food is often done in absent-minded manner and each eating time can be a harried occasion.
One particular week, a visit from the local wet market had resulted to some heavy buying of the cheapest vegetables available. The large refrigerator was stocked with fresh corn, green bell pepper, red tomatoes, green beans, and -- snow peas! Both the bell pepper and the snow peas are seldom low-priced.
THE BASICS OF INSTANT FRIED RICE
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup whole corn kernels
- 10 pieces whole snow pea or green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 5 pieces chopped hotdog
- 1/2 can luncheon meat, chopped
- 1 piece onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- A dash of ground pepper and salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
5 Easy Steps to Prepare Instant Fried Rice:
- Heat oil in a large wok or frying pan.
- Over low-medium heat, brown the garlic. Cook onions until transparent. Stir-fry the hotdog and luncheon meat.
- Throw in the tomato, corn, and snow pea plus the ground pepper and salt. Add the cooked rice.
- Use two large wooden spoons to quickly blend all the ingredients over medium-high heat.
- Serve steaming hot in small bowls.
Rice is a good source of energy and very fulfilling. Just top it with anything like fried eggs or steamed ham. Have you tried drowned rice in meat soup?
We live on these simple dishes made mostly from leftovers and done in minutes during weekdays because weekends are often a treat!
And yet... after staring at the mouth-watering dishes in the menu book, we ordered more rice -- and corn.
What a week! Guess what we had on the everyday menu for the following weeks? Of course, anything that went well with rice!