Danish Ebelskivers Recipes
Ebelskivers - The Scandinvian Filled Pancake, a Delicous Breakfast Treat!
Have you ever heard of ebelskivers, the mini stuffed pancake? These filled pancakes, first made by the Scandinvians, are a delicious breakfast treat, perfect for anyone that likes something sweet in the morning once in a while.
The beauty of the ebelskiver is that not only can you use a different batter every time, but you can fill them with something different. You can even have them for dinner if you use a variety of cheeses or meats. All you'll need is an ebelskiver pan to quickly fry up your own filled pancakes, along with a few basic ingredients, and you'll have a gourmet Scandinavian breakfast at your table in no time. From start to finish, a basic ebelskiver pancake will only take about 30 minutes to cook and prepare. If you're making multiple batches, it will take longer.
Here's another tip: These, unlike pancakes, are actually pretty decent when served room temperature and eaten later! They can be thrown on a lightly greased baking sheet if you'd like to get them hot again, but for those who can't wait, they taste good as is room temperature.
On this page, you can find some delicious ebelskivers recipes, along with some recommended tips, pans, mixes, filings, and toppings.
Chocolate Filled Ebelskivers - How to make chocolate filled aebelskivers
Ebelskivers aren't hard to make. If you have an ebelskiver pan, you can cook up a bunch in no time flat. With chocolate filled ebelskivers, you can use your favorite chocolate chips. I usually use Ghirardelli chocolate chips semi sweet, but you can use mint chocolate bar pieces, chocolate almond, chocolate coconut, or whatever you have on hand. It's going to be melted, so it will all taste delicious.
Before you make these, I have to warn you that chocolate filled ebelskivers are one of the deadliest concoctions known to mankind. If you dare, you can top them with maple syrup, but I say a dusting of powdered sugar is enough. If you'd like to air on the side of caution, heat up a small dish of maple syrup on the side and just dip one in it to test it out. They're really ice cream worthy, to be honest. So how do you make these irresistible treats? Here's how:
Ingredients for Chocolate Filled Ebelskivers
* Chocolate chips - any variety
* 1 Tablespoon butter
* Pancake mix, or start from scratch with the ebelskiver mix
Directions for Chocolate Filled Ebelskivers
1. Prepare the ebelskiver or pancake mix according to directions. Heat the ebelskiver griddle on medium - low, spreading the butter between each of the holes in the pan.
2. Pour a small amount of batter into each hole, filling approximately halfway. Place 6-8 chocolate chips in each hole. Place a dab more batter on top of the chocolate chips. When the edges start to become solid, turn the ebelskivers over with a toothpick. Cook the opposite side for about a minute or two until lightly browned.
3. Serve immediately with syrup, butter, or powdered sugar.
For variety in your ebelskivers, try using different chocolate like white chocolate, dark chocolate, or a combination. These are actually more of a dessert than breakfast, so if you'd like, try serving them with ice cream or whipped cream with chocolate drizzle.
Other combinations and varieties of chocolate ebelskivers:
* Try melting the chocolate first, then placing some inside the batter. Then, swirl the chocolate throughout the batter to make a swirled marble effect.
* Add baking cocoa to the pancake or ebelskiver mix to create a double chocolate filled ebelskiver
Nordicware Ebelskivers Pan - Easily cook up your ebelskivers with this made in the USA pan
This is the pan I own to cook my ebelskivers. I've used it about a dozen times, and I have no complaints. The nonstick surface is completely intact, it washes just fine, and it cooks the ebelskivers evenly. Reviewers agree, this is a great pan. If you're feeding a large crowd, two ebelskiver pans will get the job done quicker. After a year of use, this pan still looks brand new, hasn't warped, scratched, dented, or shown any signs of wear.
Apple Cinnamon Ebelskivers - A delicious fall recipe for apple ebelskivers!
If you'd like to put a twist on ebelskivers, adding some real fruit filling can really make them pretty tasty. This recipe involves making caramel apple pieces, which are very easy. Once the filling is done, you can drop the filling into the middle of the cinnamon batter.
* Stonewall Kitchen cinnamon pancake mix
* 4 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced into small 1/2" pieces
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
* 2 Tablespoons butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for Apple Ebelskivers
1. Sauté the diced apples and butter in a medium saucepan under low heat for five minutes. When the apples start to soften slightly, add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Stir well and cook the mixture on low heat for 5 minutes, until the sugar has melted and the cinnamon mixture has caramelized.
2. Make the cinnamon pancake mix according to the package directions (for the smallest batch listed). Drop a small amount of batter into each hole of a buttered ebelskiver pan. Add a teaspoon of the apple mixture to the ebelskiver batter in each hole. Cook on medium heat. Flip each ebelskiver when the sides of them start to become slightly firm and air bubbles are visible in the batter. Cook the opposite side until lightly brown.
3. Serve with additional apple mixture on top, or dusted with powdered sugar. You can alternatively use cinnamon and granulated sugar mix to dust. Serve immediately with maple syrup or ice cream.
Ebelskivers Pans - More well rated Ebelskivers pans to purchase
Here's an assortment of other pans to cook up your filled pancakes:
Delicious Fillings for Your Ebelskivers
Gourmet premade ebelskiver fillings and toppings
A little update on this section: I was featuring Stonewall Kitchen products as fillings, however, they have a constantly changing inventory so it's hard to feature one that won't be discontinued. I'll find good replacements in due time, but here are the items I DID feature previously. If you can find similar products, they would probably make excellent fillings.
If you're looking for some really tasty filling and syrups for your ebelskivers, Stonewall Kitchen is a great place to get them. Their lineup of gourmet preserves, jams, and syrups are all perfect for the ultimate breakfast, whether it's stuffed pancakes, waffles, toast, or muffins. I've tried all of the products listed below on several occasions and have reordered. They're excellent, and the products are really well packaged to prevent breakages. The product itself is also excellent, and ideal to keep on hand for your ebelskivers.
Filling your ebelskiver pan with more batter rather than less will result in bigger, fluffier ebelskivers. When you fill the holes with less, they tend to be flatter and less fluffy.
Try These Other Mixes for Your Ebelskivers - Change up your ebelskivers recipes with different mixes
It's okay to try new things, and when you do with one of these, you'll be quite happy. Not only can you change up the filling of your aebelskivers, but you can change the batter. For example, a pumpkin pancake mix might be better suited for a filling that has apples or banana than a regular batter. Also, having one of these on hand will save you a few small steps in the morning.
Cheese Filled Ebelskivers - Delicious cheese filled ebelskivers - easy appetizer idea
Cheese filled ebelskivers are an excellent appetizer, and aren't something you'd normally expect. Yes, they still have a pancake quality, but they're very versatile, and it's all about what you fill the ebelskiver with. In this case, we're just going to use a good cheddar cheese with mozzarella, and have marinara as a dipping side. These are great for party appetizers, but serve them quickly. Once they get cool, they have an entirely different taste.
Ingredients for Cheese Filled Ebelskivers
* 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
* 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
* Ebelskivers mix or pancake mix
Directions for Cheese Filled Ebelskivers
1. Start your ebelskivers as usual on a buttered ebelskiver pan. Prepare the ebelskivers according to package directions. Warm the pan, then add the batter to each of the holes.
2. Add an equal amount of each cheese to the holes of the pan on top of the batter, then cover with a dab of additional batter.
3. Cook until edges are slightly firm, then cook opposite side for 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce.
A Passed Down Tradition of Aebelskivers, and How to Make Them - Video directions on how to make your own homemade ebelskivers
Make your own homemade ebelskivers with this simple video of a recipe handing down through generations!
The Best Reviewed Ebelskivers Pan on the Web - Norpro's durable ebelskivers pan
Norpro really has perfected the ebelskivers pan. With deep 2.75" holes for the filled pancakes, and a durable nonstick aluminum coating, this pan will last you through many, many breakfasts. As with most nonstick pans, you should handwash this to ensure it lasts a long time, and to prevent the nonstick coating doesn't get scratched off or dinged.
Cinnamon Bun Ebelskivers - A delicious cinnamon filled breakfast treat - complete with cream cheese frosting
Take it easy on these ebelskivers, these are notoriously sweet, but still delicious. Each ebelskiver is filled with a thick helping of cinnamon filling, which consists of a generous amount of cinnamon, sugar and flour. They're then cooked and topped with cream cheese frosting. Tempted yet? Here's how you can make them:
This recipe was tried and tested by us, and it was good. Don't come to breakfast less than ravenous, because these will definitely fill you beyond any other pancake you've ever had. Each bite manages to taste like a cinnamon bun, only in miniature pancake form.
The recipe also includes a recipe for some quick cream cheese frosting, which only takes a few basic ingredients. My best tip for this recipe, like most other ebelskivers, is to serve it up hot. Like pancakes, they aren't anywhere near as good when they cool down, which is the biggest difference between the cinnamon bun and these miniatures.
More Delicious Scandinavian Recipes in this Cookbook - If you like Ebelskivers, you might enjoy these other tasty Finnish recipes
If you like ebelskivers, then you might like other Finnish/Scandinavian recipes in this cookbook. With an emphasis on seafood, pastries, and buttery, flavorful, rich foods, this recipes truly stick to true Finnish heritage style dishes.
Ebelskivers Pans - Brand new pans available on live auction right now
Jump on these great deals on brand new Ebelskivers pans on Ebay right now, and save yourself a little dough! Ebelskivers pans also make an awesome gift for the breakfast lover. Just pick up some chocolate chips and fillings for them and you've got an instant gift.
Ebelskivers are delicious, and easy to make. Have you made them? Share with us, or just share you love for pancakes!
© 2009 Kiwisoutback