The Best Eggplant Recipes
Want To Try A New Dish? Make It Eggplant
Don't Overlook This Vegetable
Eggplant may not be the top vegetable on your list, but prepared right, it is truly delicious. This beautiful, purple vegetable with a shiny smooth texture is often overlooked, but it is quite versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes. With a few tips, you will find that it is very easy to prepare and serve.
Discover Your Favorite Eggplant Dish
You'll find eggplant in everything from dips to Italian dishes and stir fries. There are even different colors and varieties. The selection of eggplant dishes featured here include Baba Ganoush, Italian Fried Eggplant and Ratatouille. Try one and see how wonderful it is to enjoy a new dish.
Photo Credit: Creative Commons/woodleywonderworks
When shopping for an eggplant, make sure it has a smooth skin and is firm to the touch. A medium size eggplant will have the best flavor. Use your eggplant within a few days of purchase.— Mary
Baba Ganoush- An Eggplant Spread
Enjoy this roasted eggplant spread as an appetizer or serve with pita bread at the dinner table.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- Yields: Makes 2 Cups
- 2 eggplant
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbls. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prick eggplant with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes, turning eggplants halfway through cooking.
- Let eggplant cool and then peel and coarsely chop.
- Place in a blender or food processor, eggplant, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and pepper and process until smooth.
- Spread mixutre on a serving dish and drizzle with olive oil.
- Surround with pita bread triangles or tortilla chips.
Eggplant is delicious served with:
-Salad and Crusty Bread
Do you like eggplant?
Kindle Cookbooks Full of Eggplant Recipes
Easy Kindle edition.
Easy recipes for eggplant, Kindle edition.
The Eggplant was first cultivated
in China during the 5th century.
Italian Baked Eggplant Parmigiana - Doesn't this look fabulous?
This is a favorite eggplant dish that everyone will love and bring you many compliments.
Prep Time: 20
Total Time: 45
Go from oven to table with ease
Quality cast iron/enamel baker that can be conviently used on the stove top.
- 3 tbls. vegetable oil
- 1 large or two small eggplant
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tbls. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups chunky marinara
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Peel and slice eggplant.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet.
- Combine cornmeal, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Dip each slice of eggplant in the cornstarch, then the egg, then the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry about 2 minutes on each side or until brown.
- Place in greased baking dish.
- Top with marinara and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned.
Cooking with Eggplant? - Try these tips....
- To remove bitterness, salt eggplant and let drain in colander for one hour. Rinse eggplant and use.
- Eggplant is an excellent replacement for meat.
- To prevent browning, drizzle eggplant with lemon juice.
- Eggplant is a good choice for stir-fries.
- Eggplant is delicious sliced thin on pizza.
This dish can be made ahead and refrigerated. Add the additional bread crumb topping just before baking.
This attractive baker goes from oven to looking great on the dinner table.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 2
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 4 strips crisp bacon crumbled
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease or spray a medium baking dish.
- Remove stalk from egglant and cut in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out pulp, leaving eggplant shell intact and chop pulp.
- Melt butter in large skillet and add onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Saute 5 minutes.
- Add pulp to mixture and saute another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat adding remaining ingredients except bread crumbs for topping.
- Fill eggplant shells with mixture and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until topping is browned.
Did you know that the eggplant
is a member of the potato family?