Spicy Eggplant Recipe
Spicy Eggplant Recipe
This spicy eggplant recipe has a nice sour spicy blend that camouflages the light bitterness of the eggplant, making it a great vegetarian dish for all occasions.
A familiar fall harvest vegetable, eggplant, also known as brinjal (India, UK, Australia) and aubergine is cultivated in many parts of the world from the time it was domesticated in north-eastern India more than two thousand years ago. Today there are various types ranging from the round small variety to the large pendulous types and the thin long variety. They also come in different colors - from the familiar purple (aubergine) to white and streaked green varieties. For this recipe I have made use of the long purple variety.
All images in this hub : © Aster56
- Eggplant - 500 gms
- Onion (medium) - 1
- Green chilies - 3
- Garlic cloves - 8 to 10
- Chili powder - 1.5 teaspoons
- Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 2 teaspoons
- Garam masala - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cilantro - i bunch
- Curry leaves - 3 sprigs
- Lime (small) - 2
- Oil - about 3 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cut eggplant into 11/2 inch long thin pieces. Put the pieces in a bowl with water and sprinkle salt over it to prevent it from getting discolored.
- Cut onion into thin slices. Wash and chop cilantro fine. Chop green chilies. Peel 8-10 cloves of garlic and crush it. Keep aside.
- Take a frying pan or kadhai and heat it on a stove. Put 3 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard. As it begins to splutter, add cumin seeds and wait for it to turn brown (but not black).
- Add sliced onion and fry. Keep frying the onions till it turns light brown. Now add the crushed garlic and keep frying for a minute then add the chopped green chilies, cilantro and curry leaves. Keep frying till a nice aroma comes from it.
- Add the coriander powder and fry for a minute and then add chili powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder. Keep frying for another minute.
- Rinse the eggplant pieces once in fresh water and drain. Add the pieces to the fried masala in the pan. Mix well and add salt. Add a cup of water and mix. Cover the frying pan with a steel plate which can hold a glass of water in it. This will ensure that the vegetable that is cooking