Eggs in the Round: Mini Omelettes & A Simple Tool to Make Them
Sometimes the shape of food really does make a difference.
These eggs in the round have a different consistency than scrambled or poached eggs, and they're perfect for breakfast sandwiches on bagels or English muffins, or eaten on their own with a side of salsa or breakfast potatoes.
You can add any kind of vegetables, meat or cheese you like.
And if you don't have one of the handy silicone egg rings pictured here (and available below) and want to use what you already have on hand around the house, a tuna can with both ends removed works pretty well, too. Just spray the inside of the can ring with some cooking oil and have tongs ready to remove the ring.
The ingredients below are for each ring.
An Easy Recipe for Eggs in the Round
You can get all kinds of creative, but here's our simple recipe for making these small omelettes, which we sometimes eat as sandwiches and other times serve with sides like salsa, avocado and beans.
We've also used the egg rings for making burgers.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10-15 minutes
Serves: 1-2 rounds per person
- 1 egg (or the equivalent in egg whites), beaten
- Bell pepper, 1/8 cup chopped
- Onion, 1/8 cup chopped
- Ground turkey, 1/2 cup
- Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup shredded
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking oil or butter
- Spray a fry pan with cooking oil
- Brown the ground turkey, adding any seasoning you prefer
- Add chopped vegetables and saute till tender
- Set the vegetable/meat mixture aside
- Scramble 1 egg or the equivalent (about 3/4 cup) in egg whites
- Add the egg to the meat and vegetables and mix
- Spray your egg ring with cooking oil
- Using an oiled or buttered griddle or the same pan you used for cooking the meat and veggies, pour the egg mixture into the ring, pressing down on the ring to keep the egg from seeping out the sides
- Cover and cook approximately 5 minutes
- Sprinkle cheese on top and cover again until melted
Rate this Eggs in the Round Recipe
The Handy Little Egg Ring for Making Omelettes in the Round
These useful silicon eggs rings are both handy AND cute. Just spray or rub some oil on the inside of the ring and pour in your egg or egg mixture, or press in your uncooked burger or whatever you want to cook in the round. Then, when you're done, you can just stick them in the dishwasher.
One thing about these, though -- the little egg-head handle does get hot. I'm not sure why they didn't make the egg-head out of silicone like the rest of the ring. But the cuteness factor and the fact that they work and clean up so well trumps that minor issue.
These are great for matching your eggs right to your bagel or English muffin of choice for the perfect breakfast sandwich.
Other Cute Kitchen Products by Joie
There are more cute accessories where this one came from, including some with happy little egg faces and some with pigs and cows and other creatures. I like to put several of these together for gift exchanges and in baskets for things like housewarming or wedding gifts along with one bigger item.
You'll find a bunch of Joie accessories here.
© 2014 Deb Kingsbury