Exotic Vegetarian Biryani Recipe
Recipe for Exotic Vegetarian Biryani: Veg is Best
Exotic biryanis have a particular flavour. This easy to prepare colorful veg/vegetarian biryani recipe from Mauritius is not only delicious but very nourishing as the vegetables and soya nuggets it uses contain a number of vitamins, minerals, polynutrients and fibers. I have also seized the opportunity to describe why I adore vegetables and to enumerate their numerous health benefits.
(Will add original photos soon.)
Please visit my movies website:
The Easy Recipe for Exotic Veg/vegetarian Biryani
Ingredients (for 4 people):
2 cups long grain basmati rice
1 medium size onion sliced lengthwise
1 medium size onion sliced breadthwise
2 tablesoonful shredded fresh coconut
1 big tomato thinly sliced
1/4 cup carrots cut into matchsticks
1/4 cup green beans cut lengthwise
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup cauliflower
1 large potato cut lengthwise
1 cup soy nuggets
1 tablespoonful ginger/garlic paste
1 stick cinnamon
3 pods cardamom
1/2 bunch fresh mint finely cut
1/2 bunch fresh coriander leaves finely cut
1/4 cup yogurt
Chili and salt according to taste
1 tablespoonful coriander powder
1 tablespoonful cumin powder
1 tablespoonful fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoonful ghee or oil
A few strands of saffron soaked in warm milk
1. Cook the rice and cool it.
2. While the rice is being cooked and cooled, boil 3 cups of water, turn off the heat, add the soy nuggets and cover. Allow the nuggets to puff up for about 15 minutes. Now drain and squeeze out excess water and set aside.
3. Golden fry the breadthwise sliced onion and leave aside.
4. Wash the vegetables leaving the onion and tomato aside.
5. Marinate the vegetables with the yogurt and ginger/garlic paste for about 30 minutes.
6. Now heat a frying pan with the ghee or oil and add the onion slices until they are translucent, then add the tomato slices ans salt.
7. Continue to fry until it leaves all the juices, then add the mint and coriander.
8. Add the marinated vegetables and soy nuggets, some chili and the coriander powder, cumin powder, cinnamon and cardamom.
9. Cover and let the vegetables and soy cook in low steam until they are tender.
10. Add the lemon juice, mix and let the vegetables absorb the juice for 1 or 2 minutes.
11. Add the rice and saffron and mix gently.
12. Put off the heat, sprinkle the fried onion slices and shredded coconut and cover the biryani.
Serve with cucumber/carrots salad and pickles after 5 minutes.
When people ask me why I'm eating vegetarian
I simply say... veg is best.
I adore vegetables because have numerous health benefits. I also adore vegetables in exotic veg/vegetable biyyani, fried rice and pulao. Here are the benefits of eating vegetables:
1. There is an abundance of potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C and folate in most vegetables. These vitamins and minerals help maintain our body in good health and prevent us from contracting diseases. They also help us fight diseases and injury in case we are sick or wounded.
2. Vegetables contain an abundance of polynutrients. A high consumption of fresh vegetables helps protect us from cardiovascular diseases, stroke, diabetes, a number of cancers, kidney failure, as well as bone loss.
3. Vegetables cannot be replaced by supplements available on the market. Many people eat vitamins and minerals available in capsule form without realizing that these capsules do not contain the exact copies of compounds available in vegetables and do not help our metabolism as vegetables do.
4. Vegetables help us fight with stress. There is a correlation between low consumption of plant foods and a rise of diseases caused by stress: inflammatory diseases, cancers, autoimmune diseases and neurological disorders.
5. Vegetables have a high fiber content. Fibers regulate digestion and help reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. (While fruits contain many vitamins and minerals, their fiber content in general is much lower than vegetables.)
6. Vegetables are colorful. Vegetables of one color contain a certain number of vitamins and minerals at certain levels and vegetables of another color contain the same vitamins and minerals at other levels or other vitamins and minerals at other levels. When you eat a variety of vegetables, not only you're eating beautiful, but you're ensuring that your body gets a full range of nutrients they require.
My favorite vegetarian resource - It's neat!
* 5 Quart Capacity
* Dishwasher safe
* Expert non-stick interior
* Non-Stick Interior and Exterior
* Ergonomically designed, Riveted handles
Health benefits of soya and soy nuggets
Soy nuggets are mad from soya beans which is a legume. Here are the health benefits of eating soya:
1. The vitamins and minerals it contains boosts our immune system and helps protect us from cardiovascular diseases and certain cancers. It is also good for our bones.
2. It has a high protein content.
3. It has content of amino acids.
4. It is cholesterol free.
5. It has a high fibre content.
Tofu and tempeh are also made from soya.
Read about the health benefits of vegetables
Thanks for reading.