Fall Recipe: Crock Pot Pumpkin Chili
The Ultimate Fall Comfort Food: Yummy & Spicy Pumpkin Chili!
To keep in line with my Fall Recipe theme, I have experimented with yet another recipe involving...my favorite...Pumpkin! This Pumpkin Chili is delicious and I will be making it again!
The pumpkin's flavor is somewhat hidden in this recipe, but pumpkin does add some healthy fiber and makes this chili very filling with a great, thick texture and lovely bright colors.
This dish would make a wonderful addition to an adult Halloween Party or even just a yummy Fall comfort food.
Read on for the recipe and also to see my very own step by step photos as I was making my rendition of Pumpkin Chili.
Photo Courtesy of...Myself!
Have You Ever Added Pumpkin to Your Chili?
A Review of My Pumpkin Chili Recipe
If you have read my other lenses in my Fall Recipe collection, you will definitely NOT be surprised to find that I found this delicious Pumpkin Chili recipe on Pinterest. There are just so many great ideas out there that I can't resist!
I made an adaptation of the original Pumpkin Chili recipe that originated at Cara's Cravings.
My adaptation of Cara's Pumpkin Chili involves fresh tomatoes from my mother-in-law's garden instead of canned tomatoes and also a fresh red chili pepper as well. I did use canned crushed tomatoes, but that was more for texture reasons rather than necessity. I also revamped the seasonings in the original recipe as I am a fan of very flavorful food!
Overall, I found this Pumpkin Chili recipe to be incredibly easy and low maintenance. I love crock pot recipes for that very reason! I only had about 15 minutes of prep work and the crock pot did the rest of the job.
This Pumpkin Chili recipe turned out to be absolutely delicious! The texture is thick and hearty with a lot of great bright colors that make it all the more appetizing. On to the most important part; the flavor! The flavor of this chili had the perfect amount of spiciness along with a great fresh tomato taste, some sweetness from the corn, and surprisingly, only a very subtle taste of pumpkin. Of course the various spices added some zip to the flavor as well, especially the little hint of cinnamon and cumin.
I even got two thumbs up on this chili from my fiancé...a.k.a. Mr. Picky Eater.
Overall, I definitely recommend this recipe for anyone and everyone to try. I will definitely be making Pumpkin Chili again!
While this recipe for Pumpkin Chili does include ground turkey, this recipe could easily be made into a Vegetarian Dish by leaving the ground turkey out.
Chili is a very versatile dish, so experiment with different ingredients and substitutions at will! Sometimes that is how the best masterpieces are created!
Photo Courtesy of...Myself!
- 1 Small Chopped Onion
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 - 28 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cups Fresh Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 - 14 oz Can Chopped Tomatoes & Green Chili Peppers
- 1 Medium Fresh Chopped Red Chili Pepper
- 1 - 15 oz Can Drained Black Beans
- 1 - 15 oz Can Pumpkin Puree (Or 2 Cups Homemade Pumpkin Puree)
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Corn Kernels
- 3 Cloves of Minced Garlic
- 2 Packets Chili Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Begin by placing ground turkey in a medium sized skillet. Add chopped onions, minced garlic, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, oregano, and black pepper. Mix seasonings and onions into ground turkey until evenly distributed. Then cook ground turkey until brown.
- In the meantime, add the remainder of the ingredients to your crock pot: pumpkin puree, frozen corn kernels, crushed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, tomatoes and green chilies, chopped red chili pepper, and black beans. Also add remaining seasonings: paprika, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Once ground turkey is browned, add to the crock pot and mix again until ingredients are well combined..
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add toppings of your choice: sour cream, shredded cheese, scallions, tortilla chips, etc.
- Then dig in and enjoy!
Step By Step Photo Instructions: How To Make Pumpkin Chili
I took all of the photos below and they belong to me. Please ask permission before using.