Chicken Pot Pie Family Favorite - Recipe Comfort Food
Yummy Chicken Pot PIe
There are many variations of this wonderful meal. I am sure every family has it's own version. This is one that I make for my family. I continue to try other variations of recipes though.
I guess I am out to find the perfect one!
Chicken Pot Pie is usually made like a pie with a crust on the bottom and top. It can also be made without the bottom crust. A basic chicken pot pie has a creamy gravy like consistency with delicious chunks of chicken and vegetables in it. Of course, depending on the recipe or the family heritage or likes, it will vary in what vegetables are contained in the pie. Some pies have potatoes and peas, and carrots, some leave those out and include broccoli and onion. I am sure each family has their own version according to what has been passed down through the generations. Whichever version you use, This is a wonderful warm comfort food that is always welcome on a cold winter day.
Keep this food recipe in mind to make at least once a month in the colder weather.
The Best Comfort Food.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: about 60 minutes
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 C sliced celery
- 1/2 C chopped sweet onion
- 5 C chicken stock
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 C corn
- 1/2 C sliced green beans
- 1/2 C sliced carrots
- 3/4 C flour
- 1 cup very cold water
- 4 C cooked and chopped chicken
- prepared pie crust
- store bought or home made
- egg white to brush on crust before baking
- Put oil and butter in large deep frying pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add onion and celery and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add next 6 ingredients, stir and cook about 5 minutes.
- Shake together next two ingredients, cold water and flour in a small jar with a lid.
- Add this to pan and stir and cook about 5 minutes until bubbly and it thickens.
- Add chicken to this mixture and stir well.
- Spoon carefully into pie shell. Cover with top pie crust and crimp edges.
- using a knife place 4 slits in top for steam to escape while cooking.
- brush lightly with egg white and put in 350 oven for about 30 -40 minutes until done..