Northern Irish Sweet Treat - Fifteens
Fifteens are a traybake little known outside of Northern Ireland. They are simple to make, fairly cheap and extremely gratifying. You don't even require an oven to make these amazing treats! A great thing to make with your kids on those rainy days!
You will require:
- 15 Digestive biscuits (Store brands work just as well as McVities and are half the price!)
- 15 large marshmallows
- 15 glacie cherries
- A tub of dissected coconut
- A small tin of condensed milk.
How to make them
- Place fifteen digestives on a plate or other flat surface and crush them until they are all crumbs. (Some people place the digestives into a plastic bag then use a rolling pin to break them up) Then put the crumbs in a large bowl.
- Chop the fifteen marshmallows in half and add them to the bowl.
- Chop the fifteen glacie cherries in half and add them to the bowl.
- Get a wooden spoon and begin stirring in 2/3 to 3/4 of the tin of condensed milk. (It should have a thick, gooey texture at this point, don't worry!)
- Lay down a baking sheet or clingfilm on a table and cover it with a thin layer of dissected coconut.
- Take the mixture from the bowl and place it lengthways along the climfilm so it forms a long fat sausage shape. Then roll it in the coconut and wrap the cligfilm around it tightly.
- Place the wrapped product in the fridge for 2 hours to set, then unwrap, cut and enjoy!