- Food and Cooking
Chef Chari Prepares Pinakbet and Pompano
Filipino Stew and Fish Recipe with Sauce.
Hi, My name is Chari, and I grew up on the Philippine islands. As a young girl, I learned to cook by watching my mother prepare many different seafood dishes which she learned from her mother, and so on. The island seafood heritage they handed down to me, I continue to cherish as tradition and I would love to share one of my own favorites with you, Pinakbet and Pompano fish with dip sauce. Pinakbet is a wonderful stir fired vegetable stew, using marinated shrimp paste (or "bagoon") as a base. Typically, diced chicken or pork is added, and shrimp works well also. Shrimp paste is very popular in the Philippines, and many other Asian cultures. Together with fried Pompano and an easy to make, tasty dip sauce, I'm sure you will find this delightful combination to you liking. A short video and slide show are included to help you prepare this recipe. Enjoy!
Shrimp Paste Choices
Pinakbet and Pompano in Six Easy Steps
1. Take two woks and\or frying pans and slowly heat them with olive oil.
2. Place pre-cut green chili peppers, onions, and garlic, in the wok or pan and stir-fry them with a spatula (preferably a wooden one).
3. Place pre-cut chicken in the wok or pan with prior ingredients, stir-fry until medium to well done, apply the marinated shrimp paste ("bagoong"), and keep stir-frying.
4. Place the Pompano fish (gutted, and with side slits to facilitate frying) in the wok or pan and fry until both sides are crispy.
5. Place pre-cut Chinese long beans, butternut squash, bitter melon, and eggplant in wok or pan and stir fry with prior ingredients. This is done last to preserve the firm texture of the vegetables. Note: eggplant and bitter melon are considered essential to Pinakbet in the Philippines, but our more "westernized version" leaves them out. Put them in if you like, but it's great without also.
6. Mix the sambal, spiced vinegar, and soy sauce in a bowl and use it to dip the Pompano in when done frying.
Video: How to Prepare Pinakbet and Pompano
Spiced Vinegar Choices
Slide show: Pinakbet and Pompano Quick Guide - Ingredients and PreparationClick thumbnail to view full-size
Sambal Chili Pasta Choices
Soy Sauce Choices
Food Opinion Poll - Feedback Welcome.
Do you like a well prepared Asian stir fried dishes?
Yes they are quite tasty
Other Filipino Recipes
© 2012 Vortrek Grafix