- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Fabulous Fish Pie - A Delicious And Healthy Comfort Food
Imagine you have had a long hard day at work, followed by a chilly journey home in the evening. You reach home cold and hungry, looking for some quick and easy comfort food. It might be very tempting to grab a meal out of the freezer or refrigerator and chuck it in the microwave. But do you know what's in that pack? Probably too much fat, salt, even sugar...
So, here is a simple recipe for fish pie that takes only a few minutes. You know exactly what's in it, and it's all wholesome and healthy. You can vary this simple recipe according to the season and what you have in the fridge. My favorite home made fish pie includes salmon, white fish and smoked fish. The white fish and the smoked fish could be cod, haddock or other fish of your choice. For a touch of luxury, you could add some prawns. I used leeks on this occasion, but have also used onion or scallions in the past.
I used plain soft Philadelphia cheese to make the sauce, but you could use a flavoured variety. The cheese topping is optional, but I think my favourite would have to be cheddar.
- You can vary these measures, as you choose:
- 2 or 3 large potatoes
- 400 grams (14 oz) fish
- half of a leek
- 100 g (3.5oz) soft cheese, such as philadelphia
- stock cube - fish or vegetable
- splash of olive oil
- 50 grams (2 oz) grated cheese
- Peel, slice and boil the potatoes
- Slice the leek finely, and saute in a small amount of olive oil
- Remove leeks from pan, set aside
- Add fish to pan, cook for 5 minutes turning so all sides are lightly cooked
- Crumble stock cube over fish
- Add philadelphia soft cheese, and as it warms, fold through fish
- Add leeks, and fold through fish mixture
- Transfer fish mixture to baking dish
- Mash potatoes, and layer over fish mixture
- Sprinkle grated cheese over potato topping
- Bake at gas mark 5 ( 190 C, 375 F) for 25 minutes
Preparing Mashed Potato
Home made mash it much nicer than powdered mash. To prepare your mash, you will need a potato peeler and a masher.
The OXO Potato Masher has a professional quality stainless steel wire head. Designed for easy mashing of potatoes, yams, carrots, and other root vegetables. You can also mash apples and bananas to make homemade baby food.
The OXO Y-peeler is constructed of sturdy, die-cast zinc. It has an extra-hardened stainless-steel blade which stays sharp. The Y-peeler is easy to control when peeling root vegetables or delicate fruits.
Which is your favorite fish for fish pie?
Ovenproof glass baking dish, perfect for fish pie. It is microwave and dishwasher safe.