jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think more people are learning to eat a meatless diet?

1. suzzycue profile image93
    suzzycueposted 6 years ago

Do you think more people are learning to eat a meatless diet?

My friends are turning to vegan sausages for their pizza toppings. I tasted them and they are great. They are also using pumpkin in their baking instead of fat and I know of one friend that used sauerkrout instead of sugar in their cookies. I could not beleive it but I tasted one and you could not taste the sauerkrout.

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

wow sauerkraut in cookies is a new one for me too! smile I certainly hope more people will consider going meatless or at least drastically cutting back.  It is better for one's health and the environment (and the wallet) to choose more vegetarian meals.  Overall there are no compelling reasons to eat a meat heavy diet.  Vegetarian meals abound and even vegan foods have come a long way from what they used to be!

3. mobilemex profile image60
    mobilemexposted 6 years ago

The Mobile Food industry has added special mobile Gourmet Food Trucks just for foodies that are vegan; we have mobile lunch trucks for every tip of food. In Los Angeles County there are lunch trucks that cater just to the vegan customers. The mobile food instury though out the years has moved in with just about every kind of food truck like; Mexican Italian, Indian, Asian and Mediterranean. We are now even executing food shows right off the lunch trucks. The food served of a vegan lunch truck is same of the best food I have eating.

4. questiongirl profile image80
    questiongirlposted 6 years ago

Absolutely. People are definitely LEARNING to reduce the amounts of meat in their diets. This is apparent by the success/ trendiness of the “meatless Monday” sensation sweeping the blogosphere alone.

I am a food blogger, and in my world there are hundreds with dedicated tabs just for meatless-Monday recipes—and that’s on blogs that otherwise aren’t vegetarian or health-centric. Many, many other blogs are dedicated entirely to vegan, vegetarian, or generally “healthier” cooking and eating.

It is undeniable that some education is going on.

Whether the numbers of those swearing off meat completely are on the rise or not, perhaps a statistician somewhere has the answer.

But the main thing is that, with vegetarian-and-vegan-friendly options becoming more mainstream and more readily available, people are becoming more aware of what else is out there, and even pork-aholics like me are becoming excited by the possibilities of chickpeas.

5. Lawrence Da-vid profile image60
    Lawrence Da-vidposted 6 years ago

I have had to contend with a "house boss" that has been on a meatless diet for centuries.  Her idea of yogurt, tofu, and some-such items had me contracting for a new kitchen for  myself, where I could have real FOOD!  I once returned home from a long extended tour.  Looking in her refrigerator, I saw a half a dozen green, round, fuzzy hockey puck looking things that I was informed "was dinner."  Swearing that these green things were changing life form before my eyes, I question what it was.  Her snide reply was "hamburger's for dinner."  "green hamburgers??????"  I grabbed the keys to my car and drove to a local burger dilly for a burger, fries and a coke.  Mankind is an omnivore basically, and has been eating vegetables and meat since the beginning.  I gave her diet a trial one time.  and one time only. 

She is still on her vegan diet and I in my own kitchen....eat what I desire.  I will add that her reasoning was cholesterol.  We both had our cholesterol tested.  Her's was 124....mine has been and is 103.  I'll keep my diet.

6. suzzycue profile image93
    suzzycueposted 6 years ago

This is a new update for the above question. My friend used sauerkraut instead of coconut not sugar in her cookies. Sorry about this mistake and thanks for your great answers.

7. Lipnancy profile image94
    Lipnancyposted 6 years ago

Never tried vegan sausages myself. I do buy my sausage from a local farmer and it is wonderful. Eating a good diet makes all the difference in my energy levels, creativity and my outlook on life. Always strive to improve your diet just as you do your career, you will get 10 times more out of both.