- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Fried Chinese Chicken Recipe - Chicken With Oyster Sauce
Fried Chinese Chicken Ingredients
This Chinese chicken with oyster sauce is simply delicious, it's really quick and simple to make and it doesn't cost much either. It can be served with a variety of different side dishes, and best of all in less than 10 minutes, you'll have a piping hot meal made from scratch on the table! This recipe is also gluten free.
Ideally you would make this in a wok, but if you don't have one a medium size saucepan is fine.
Here's the ingredients to serve 2 people:
- 2 Chicken breasts skinned
- 60g Shitake mushrooms
- 30g Spring onions
- 170ml Oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 200ml Hot water
- 1/2 Tablespoon sesame oil
Gluten Free Oyster Sauce
In order for this recipe to be gluten free you need to find a gluten free oyster sauce. I use Blue Elephant Royal Thai Cuisine Oyster Sauce but if this isn't available where you shop, here are some other gluten free oyster sauces according to their labels:
- Wok Mei - All Natural Oyster Flavored Sauce
- Changs - Original Oyster Sauce
- Blue Dragon - Oyster Sauce
The oyster sauce that I'm using isn't as strong as of the others I have used in the past. If you are using a different oyster sauce to me, adjust the quantity that you use so the sauce isn't too strong.
Making The Sauce Thicker
I prefer this sauce on the thinner size, it's delicious to dip things into.
If you want to make this sauce thicker you'll need to add a teaspoon of corn flour to the chicken, spring onions and mushrooms before you add the water. Mix well.
Easy Egg Fried Rice
The perfect accompaniment to this dish is egg fried rice. It soaks up the sauce wonderfully!
How To Make Chinese Chicken With Oyster Sauce
- Cut the chicken breasts into equal sized pieces (I like to cut them into thin strips around 1cm thick, 4 - 5 cm long)
- Place chicken in a bowl and add 2 - 3 table spoons of oyster sauce and mix so that all the chicken is covered
- Leave to one side
- Thinly slice shitake mushrooms and spring onions
- Boil a kettle
- Add mushrooms and spring onions to the chicken and mix
- Heat the wok or saucepan on a high heat
- Add the sesame oil to the pan
- Once oil is hot add the chicken, mushrooms and spring onions to the pan
- Keep the bowl it was in to one side - you'll be using it again
- Stir, keeping the ingredients moving around the pan
- Add the hot water to the bowl that had the ingredients in it
- Use a spoon to get all the remaining oyster sauce from the bowl mixed into the water
- Keep stirring pan ingredients
- Once chicken is white all over (but not browned) add the water and oyster sauce from the bowl into the pan
- Add the rest of the oyster sauce to the pan and stir
- Add soy sauce and stir
- Taste, if sauce is a little too rich add some more hot water
- Leave to simmer for 3 - 4 minutes