Fried Egg in a Basket Recipe
Fried Eggs in Baskets
Egg in a Basket Recipe
You know that feeling when you need a hot snack, but you're not after a full blown meal? Well this is a great, quick recipe for filling that hole. Hot, tasty and deliciously decadent; it is a snack that has to be tried. Basically a fried egg in the middle of fried bread, it is very simple to make and can be enjoyed as a breakfast item or as a snack any time of day.
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of bread (a thick doorstep is best)
- a dash of cooking oil
- Add the oil to the pan and heat.
- Meanwhile, cut a circular hole out of the middle of the bread using a cookie cutter or knife.
- Add the bread to the pan and fry on a medium heat until golden brown.
- Flip the bread and repeat.
- Break the egg into the hole and continue frying for another minute of two.
- Flip the bread and fry until the egg is cooked.
- Serve with or without ketchup.
Make sure you allow the egg sufficient time to cook into the bread before flipping it, otherwise you are likely to lose the egg out of the middle.
Alternative Names for Egg in the basket
This recipe has many names, largely depending upon which part of the world you are from. Names include egg in toast, Alabama eggs, gas house eggs, Rocky mountain toast and my personal favourite, Humpty Dumtpy's Off the wall toast.
I've only listed a few alternative names above. What do you call this recipe? Do you have any alternative twists on it? Feel free to leave your own ideas below.
© 2013 David