Fried Rice with Arugula and Ground Beef
I find myself cooking at home more and more often these days. I like knowing what goes into my food and because I work at home, it saves me a lot of time compared to going out to get a bite to eat. So it's no surprise that my repertoire of quick-and-easy meals has been growing. Most days, I want to be in and out of the kitchen in less than 30 minutes or less.
In most Asian countries, a meal without rice is not considered a meal and although I don't necessarily fall into that group, I do like to have a stash of cooked rice in tupperware containers in my freezer. This makes it easy to whip up meals in minutes. It's especially easy if you freeze your rice in individual one-cup portions. That way you'll always have a serving of rice on hand.
Fried rice is one of the quickest meals that you can literally create in minutes. As I looked around my kitchen, I found a bunch of arugula that I needed to use up. Although arugula isn't a common ingredient used in fried rice, I figured why not try it. With a few other non-traditional ingredients thrown in, this dish tasted new and fresh. A squeeze of lemon was the perfect finish to this fried rice dish.
This dish took me around 15 minutes to make from start to end. I only needed a handful of ingredients, making this one of the quickest dish I've ever made in my life.
- Have your arugula chopped before starting.
- If you're using frozen cooked rice, zap it in the microwave until piping hot before use.
- Experiment with your favorite ingredients
I always find cookbooks by Williams-Sonoma to be of very high quality and this book is no exception. I love that they include stir-fried dishes that are non-Asian, which shows you that stir-frying is not only for Asian food.
Beautiful photos of each dish will help you envision what the finished product will look like.
- 1/2 cup arugula chopped
- 1/2 cup ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lemon wedges
- If you're using frozen rice, zap in the microwave until defrosted and warm.
- Add a teaspoon of cooking oil to a frying pan and saute the ground beef until no longer pink.
- Add chopped arugula and cook for a minute.
- Add cooked rice to the mixture and stir-fry for a minute.
- Make a well in the center of the rice mixture.
- Add egg into the well and scramble until half cooked.
- Mix the egg into the rice mixture until combined. Cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add soy sauce and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Add salt to taste if needed.
- Serve with lemon wedge if desired.