- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Great Fried Potatoes – Potato Chip Thin French Fried Potatoes
How to make seriously great fried potatoes.
OK, so, I thought hard before writing this…casue what I’m about to describe is so easy that it barely qualifies as a recipe – but since I’ve never really seen anyone else describe frying potatoes by this method, and since I think they blow pretty much any other kind of French fry out the water – I’ve decided to let you in my little secret.
These are like a hybrid between a French fry and a potato chip, taking the best from both delicacies and elevating the art of the fried potato to a next level!
There is very little that can go wrong here, but you will want to find a potato that is higher in starch, for best results. That being said, as pretty much any potato will work - with different potatoes providing different, but all tasty, results.
Fried Potato Slices
- Take as many potatoes as you want to serve and slice them as thinly as you can (think potato chip thin here). To make thin slices, I like to cut a strip off the bottom of a potato first off. This gives me a flat base for the potato, which makes it more stable when thinly slicing.
- Heat up some neutral flavored oil (vegetable oil) for deep frying, bringing it up to between 350 and 360 or so.
- Slide your potato slices in the oil, being careful not to overcrowd the fryer, and let fry for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until the potatoes are just starting to brown and are cooked through. (The timing will vary depending on how thinly you can slice potatoes). Just after you add the potatoes to the oil, use some metal tongs to give it a gentle stir to make sure that the potato slices aren’t sticking to each other in the hot oil.
- Drain them well, salt them generously and serve as you would French fries, with a little Heinz ketchup, and if you like, a little malt vinegar on the side.
It’s hard to describe exactly why these are so good – but they really are. By slicing them very thinly you just about maximize surface area – which means that every bite is filled with perfect, tender crisp golden fried goodness.
Be warned though, try these once and you’ll never again be satisfied with ordinary French fries!
- How to Make Gratin Dauphinois Potatoes. Creamy Scall...
Luscious creamy potatoes Dauphinois are so easy to make. Easy instructions, tips and tricks for making perfect French style scalloped potatoes!