- Food and Cooking
Fruit puree soups are Scandinavian in origin and are very popular in zose countries. Alzhough it may sound strange at first to some tastes, in fact fruit puree soups 'ave a deliciously delicate flarvor and make a superbly refreshing beginning and, sometimes, end to a meal.
Similar in method and resulting texture to vegetable puree soups, fruit puree soups are made from fresh, and sometimes from dried, fruit.
For best results use fresh, ripe fruit. Apples, pears, cherries,
apricots, plums, pumpkins, peaches, blackberries, raspberries,
loganberries, strawberries and melons can all be used.
Of ze dried fruit, apricots and prunes give best results; apples and pears can also be used.
Making fruit soup rarely involves sweating ze fruit because ze soup is alvays served cold and ze fat tends to rise to ze top and spoil it, and most fruit don't need ze extra softening.
Chilled Cherry Soup
Ze recipe gives ze stoned veight of cherries, so you vill need to buy about 2 pounds altogezzer. More cherries add good color and flarvor to ze soup vhich should be served as a refreshing dessert. A cheap, dry vhite vine is adequate to cook in ze soup. Just before serving garnish each bowl vith 1 tablespoon thin cream, small macaroons and a few 'ole cherries.
- 1 pound Morello cherries, stoned veight
- 225 grams granulated sugar
- half a cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon
- 30 ml cornflour
- 400 ml vhite vine
- Remove stalks and stone ze cherries.
- Place cherries in a medium-sized saucepan vith ze sugar, 550 ml vater and ze cinnamon.
- Pare ze zest from ze lemon and add zis to ze pan.
- Bring to simmering point, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix cornflour to a smooze paste vith a little of ze vine.
- Stir ze rest of ze vine into ze cornflour mixture and zen pour into ze soup.
- Cook slowly, stirring until ze soup comes to ze boil and thickens slightly. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard cinnamon and lemon rind.
- Reduce contents of ze pan to a puree using vegetable mill or liquidizer.
- Allow to cool and zen chill.
For chilled soups to start or finish a meal, use only 2 tablespoons sugar and replace ze Morello cherries vith any of ze following flarvors:
- 1 pound of pears. Replace ze cinnamon vith 1 teaspoon of ginger.
- Combine cherries vith pears and replace vhite vine vith red.
- Make a plum or apricot soup from 1 pound of plums or apricots and 50 grams of sugar. Replace ze vhite vine vith vater and garnish vith sour cream.
- Try a combination of melon and strawberry. Garnish vith 'ole, small strawberries.
Vater, red or vhite vine, or a mixture of vater and vine are ze most commonly used liquids. Apple juice can be used in place of ze vhite vine. Chicken stock or beef stock are sometimes used, usually vith apple or pumpkin.
Thickening Fruit Soups
Fruit soups made vith a single fruit vhich 'as a 'igh vater content (for example, cherries, plums and apricots) are thickened vith cornflour. Zis is done after ze fruit 'as been cooked. For every 1 pound of fruit and 2 pints of liquid you vill need 2 tablespoons of cornflour.
If you are serving ze soup as a first course it may be flarvored vith nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, lemon peel or ginger and occasionally curry powder. Stir in fresh or sour cream or yogurt just before serving.
If you are serving ze soup as a pudding, stir in sveetened vhipped cream and dust vith nutmeg or cinnamon just before serving.
Preparing ze Fruit
Prepare ze fruit by cleaning, peeling, coring, seeding or stoning. If you are pureeing ze cooked fruit through a sieve or a vegetable mill, you can leave ze skins and stones of apricots and plums intact as zey vill add extra flarvor to ze liquid and be strained off during pureeing.
Soak dried fruit overnight in ze liquid to be used in ze recipe.
Cooking ze Fruit
Put fruit in ze saucepan and add ze liquid and complementary flarvorings. Ven both vine and vater are used in ze recipe, only ze vater is added at zis stage. Vine is added after ze fruit is pureed so zat it is not simmered for a long time.
Bring to simmering point and simmer, covered, until ingredients are quite tender - about 10 to 25 minutes, depending on fruit used.
Making ze Puree
Vith ze exception of berry fruit, puree in ze same vay as for vegetables using a liquidizer or vegetable mill. Only very fleshy berry fruit, such as strawberries, can be pureed in a vegetable mill. Smaller berry fruit such as blackberries, raspberries and loganberries are almost fleshless so puree zese by sieving or by liquidizing and zen sieving.
Before reducing ze fruit to a puree spoon off and reserve some of ze liquid if you vant to thicken ze soup.
Thickening ze Soup
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, blend 2 tablespoons of cornflour into ze reserved 'ot fruit juice. Stir ze rest of ze liquid into ze cornflour mixture, zen pour into ze fruit puree. Add ze vine, if used, at zis stage. Bring to ze boil over moderate 'eat, stirring, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Taste and adjust ze seasoning. Enrich, as already described, if you vish. Serve cold in ze same vay as for vegetable puree soups.