- Food and Cooking
Fuzzy Navel Cake
Unique, Fun and Delicious Cake
Are you looking for a unique dessert that is moist and delicious? Why not try a Fuzzy Navel Cake? Fashioned after the drink of the same name, this dessert is not a fancy looking cake. But I will tell you, what this cake lacks in fancy dÃ©cor, it makes up in the wonderful taste bud sensations!
I have made this cake for several different occasions and each time it received raving reviews! I have served it both with whipped topping, but it is moist enough that it is also delicious all by itself.
all photos by mbgphoto
I have found several variations of this cake online. Mine is a combination of several different recipes.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 large (5.1 ounce) package of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup peach schnapps for cake and 1/4 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup orange juice for cake and 2 Tablespoons for the topping
- 4 eggs or 1 cup eggbeaters
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar for topping and 1 tablespoon full to sprinkle on top
- Grease and lightly flour a 9 1/2 inch bundt pan.
- Combine cake mix, pudding, oil, eggs, schnapps, orange juice and orange extract in a mixing bowl. Mix till blended and then mix on medium for 2 minutes. Pour this mixture into bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes. Place pan on wire rack and poke holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon or a straw.
- Make a syrup topping of the powdered sugar 1/4 cup schnapps and 2 Tablespoons of orange juice. Slowly pour this topping over the holes you have punched in the cake. Let the cake cool in the pan for 2 hours or till completely cool. Take a table knife and gently go around the edges. Next invert the pan onto a serving pan to remove the cake.
- I sprinkled a bit of powdered sugar over the top of the cake for a bit of dÃ©cor.
Here are the ingredients that I used one of the times that I made the cake. I discovered I didn't have pudding mix right before I was baking so I made the cake without it. It turned out fine, but on another occasion I added the large box of vanilla pudding mix and that turned out even better. The big difference was the smoothness of the inside of the cake.
I have also made the cake using egg beaters instead of eggs and that works out well too!
Bundt Pans for a Perfect Cake - several varieties available
A bundt pan works perfect for the Fuzzy Navel Cake. Just make sure you first spray the bundt pan with cooking spray and then dust it lightly with flour. This will ensure that the cake will come out smoothly.
This is the bundt pan that I use. It works great for this recipe!
For a really interesting cake, how about a castle bundt pan?
Poke Holes in Warm Cake
You will want to poke the holes in the cake as soon as you get it out of the oven. In this photo I used the handle of a wooden spoon as one of the recipes I read suggested. Another time I used a straw and that method is a bit neater. Both seem to work well though.
Peach Schnapps - great for recipes and drinks
I enjoy a refreshing drink and peach schnapps fits the bill. It is great by itself over ice or combined with orange juice in a cocktail. I had tried both of these before, but this is the first time I tried using it in a recipe. What a nice surprise! It makes such a moist, delicious cake.
Fuzzy Navel Drink - serve over ice
The "Fuzzy Navel" is an old recipe that I remember drinking many years ago. It is a refreshing drink and when I decided to make the cake, I thought I would serve the drink along with it. When we used to make the "Fuzzy Navel" in our younger years we mixed half OJ and half peach schnapps. This recipe is slightly different.
- 3 parts orange juice
- 1 part vodka
- 2 parts peach schnapps
- Pour all ingredients over ice and serve.