German Sauerkraut Recipe
My favorite Sauerkraut Recipe
I'm going to share an old time Bavarian Sauer Kraut recipe my Grandmother (Oma) taught me.
Oma means "Grandmother" in German.
Everyone makes Sauerkraut different but, this is my favorite and I hope you will like it too.
This special Sauerkraut recipe will not be overwhelmed with a sour taste. It will be a golden tan color with lot's of flavor. One main thing that is important about this recipe is the Golden color the kraut will have when done.
What you will need
* 2 Large drained and lightly rinsed ( don't rinse to much ) cans 16 oz. each Bavarian Sauerkraut w/caraway seeds
* 1 Large chopped onion
* 6 slices Bacon
* 4-5 cups water
* 2 Large Potatoes cubed
* 3 medium Ham hocks
* 1 ring sauteed by itself, polish sausage
( diced or sliced ) your choice
* 1 Bay leaf
* 1-2 tablespoon garlic powder or fresh chopped cloves
* 2 Knorr chicken bouillon cubes
* 1 tablespoon Maggi seasoning
* 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
* 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
* 1/4 to 1/2 cup from 1 packet instant butter flavored mashed potatoes ( for thickening if you don't make a flour rue)
* Salt and Pepper to taste when done, since the meat and bouillon cube have salt in it.
note: you can also add 1/2-1 cup of a good white wine during cooking process.
Add some White Wine
Yes, absolutely add some white wine into your sauerkraut say about 1/2 -1cup!
Put it all Together
No need for oil, the bacon will do to keep the onions moist
* In a Large Pot, saute' onions and bacon until onions are glossy
* add the water and ham hocks, bring to boil and simmer for 45 minutes covered
* add Sauerkraut and ALL ingredients except for Polish Sausage and potatoes
* continue to simmer covered for 2-1/2 hours
* add potatoes and polish sausage, cook for another 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender
* while stirring sprinkle the instant mashed potatoes in.
* When desired thickness has acquired stop adding.
Your sauerkraut should have a nice golden brown color when done!
***NOTE*** Instead of instant mashed potatoes you can make a rue with butter and flour or just mash a few of the potatoes****
Homemade Pretzels adds a nice touch to go with Sauerkraut
Take the Sauer Kraut Poll
Do you like Sauer Kraut?
If you never Heard of "Knorr" bouillon cubes you have been missing Flavor
Knorr Bouillon cubes are not as salty as other bouillon cubes. You can use them in all your recipes to enhance flavor.
The flavors come in chicken, beef and vegetable. Knorr also has gravies, noodle meals, and much more.
I have been using them for over 20 years. I also keep "Maggi cubes handy too.
These two brands are real popular in Germany.
My Grandmother and Mother used Knorr and Maggi products. I just kept the tradition going. It trickled down further to my Daughter, she uses them also. I have tried other brands but they just weren't as good as "KNORR".
More Delicious Recipes from - Food network
We all know and love the "Food Network". So here's the link for you to enjoy more recipes.
- Go to Food Network
Great Recipes by Great Chefs and people like you and me.
Sometimes we go blank and can't think of what kind of meals to prepare. I enjoy the "Meals Matter" site I found.
You can do all sorts of things there. Make and save shopping list, find recipes and save them, create your own recipes and much more.
Take a look at it, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
- Meal Planner Here
Plan and store recipes. It's fun and easy with meals matter.