- Food and Cooking
Gingerbread Man Decorating Ideas
How To Decorate A Gingerbread Man
Gingerbread men have been around since the 16th century. Queen Elizabeth I had gingerbread men made to pay homage to her most important guests. Most gingerbread men have the same basic shape. We use royal icing and other decorating candies to give them detail. Decorating gingerbread men is a fun family activity and a great Christmas time craft. This lens will show you some creative ways to decorate a gingerbread man and I will even give you a basic gingerbread man recipe. By the time Christmas rolls around, you will be coming up with your own unique and gingerbread men decorating ideas and I hope you come back to share them with me.
This picture is courtesy of Samdogs on Creative Commons.
How To Make A Basic Gingerbread Man
Gingerbread Man Recipe
Â½ c butter or margarine
Â½ c white sugar
Â½ c molasses
2 c flour
Â½ tsp salt
Â½ tsp baking soda
Â½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ginger
Â½ tsp nutmeg
In a bowl, mix margarine and sugar. Stir in molasses and egg until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, powder, soda and spices. Slowly pour into the creamed mixture and mix until smooth. Place in a sealed bowl and chill for at least one hour in refrigerator.
After chilling, lightly flour a flat surface. Roll a portion of the dough to Â¼" thickness and use cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool on wire racks before decorating.
Gingerbread Man Cookie Cutter - The Cookie Cutter For Kids
After years of development and real-world testing, the Curious Chef collection of kid-friendly kitchen tools was born. Our complete Curious Chef line encompasses an assortment of uniquely designed cooking products by creating "real kitchen tools for kids". We incorporate the elements of safety and vibrant color throughout our entire line and every piece in our collection is easy to grip and is sized for small hands.
Gingerbread man shaped cookie cutter; food safe plastic
Soft touch grip; oversized for easy use
Appropriate for children ages 5+
Conforms to safety requirements of ASTM F963 and CPSIA lead and phthalate limits; BPA free
These Gingerbread Men Need Clothes!
Gingerbread Men Decorating Ideas - Fun Ways To Decorate Gingerbread men
- You don't have to stick to strictly making Gingerbread Men; you can make gingerbread women, children, and pets.
- Royal icing can be used to outline your gingerbread man. It can also be used to draw on clothes, faces, accessories. Use colored royal icing to make your gingerbread men stand out.
- Eyes and buttons can be made using gumdrops, raisins, red cinnamon candies or chocolate chips.
- Mix beaten egg yolks with food coloring, and paint your cookies before they go in the oven.
- Cut out accessories from scrap pieces of gingerbread. You can make hats, scarves, or bow ties. Use royal icing to 'glue' them onto your gingerbread men for a 3D effect.
- Spread a thin layer of icing on your gingerbread man and cover it with sprinkles or colored sugar.
These Gingerbread men are courtesy of solyanka on Creative Commons.
Cookie and Cupcake Decorating Set - Kuhn Rikon Cookie and Cupcake Decorating Set
Instant fun for the whole family - kids and adults - with professional quality results. The Cookie and Cupcake Decorating Set from Kuhn Rikon has everything you need to decorate cookies, cupcakes and cakes. 4 Decorating Bottles for different color icings, 9 interchangeable decorating tips and one frosting spatula.
Royal Icing Recipe
2 egg whites
5 cups confectioners' sugar
In a large bowl, lightly whisk egg whites. Gradually beat in approximately confectioners' sugar. The icing should be smooth and stand in firm peaks.
Mother And Child Gingerbread People
Decorating With Royal Icing - Tips for decorating with royal icing
Decorating with royal icing can be a lot of fun. It gives you a chance to be creative and personalize your gingerbread man. Here are a few tips and tricks for using royal icing.
- Always let your cookies cool completely before decorating them.
- Always sift the powdered sugar before making the royal icing.
- Drag a butter knife through the surface of your royal icing and count to 10. If the icing surface becomes smooth in anywhere between 5-10 seconds, then your icing is ready to use.
- Do not overbeat the icing. This will cause thinner outlines to crack and fall off. When the icing is glossy and comes to stiff peaks, it is ready.
- Use a #2 for outlining and filling in. For larger cookies use tip #3 or #4 and for smaller cookies use tip #1.
- Always do the outlines first; then fill in with more icing as desired.
- For multiple layers of icing, wait at least 10 minutes between layers to prevent bleeding.
Decorating Icing - Colored Decorating Icing
If you don't want to mess with making individual colors of royal icing, you can simply buy these small pre-made tubes. They are easy to use and make a lot less mess.
This army of Gingerbread Men is courtesy of Paul Jerry on Creative Commons.
Gingerbread Man Decorating Ideas - The best decorating tips on the web
- Gingerbread Man Decorating Ideas
Looking for the perfect gingerbread men recipe? This how to make gingerbread men page offers tips, tricks and advice on how to bake and decorate gingerbread ...
- Gingerbread Man Decorating Ideas
4 or 7-inch gingerbread man cutter, and remove excess ... top of gingerbread men; invert and remove waxed ... Trim with decorate icing. ...
- Decorating gingerbread men
Comments on "Adorable gingerbread man costume & decorating gingerbread house kits". Maria@Conversations with Moms. What cute resources and ideas for ...
- Gingerbread Men Decorating Ideas | eHow.com
Gingerbread Men Decorating Ideas. Gingerbread and gingerbread men are popular holiday cookie ideas. Made from soft, delicately spiced dough, gingerbread men ...
- Tips for Decorating a Gingerbread Man Recipe: Gingerbread Man
Tips for Decorating a Gingerbread Man Recipe. Part of the series: Gingerbread Man Recipe. Learn how to decorate the gingerbread men ...
- Gingerbread-Man Wreath and more holiday recipes
Our best cookie recipes, menu ideas, crafts projects, decorating tips, ... Before baking, lay gingerbread men in a circle, overlapping feet and hands ...
- Gingerbread Men Decorating and more
More Articles. Videos. Gingerbread Men. Kids can transform plain gingerbread cookies into colorful characters with these sweet decorating ideas. ...
Punch a hole in the top of your gingerbread men before baking. After the gingerbread man has been decorated, add a red ribbon through the hole and hang on your Christmas tree for a fun and unique ornament.