Gluten Free Cupcake Recipe - Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
Today my sweet tooth has urged me to bake some rice flour cupcakes once again. This time they will be very chocolicious and minty. When we amalgamate the seductive flavor of chocolate with the refreshing aroma of mint, yumminess is the end result. If you're not used to baking with rice flour, don't be nervous. This wheat-free cupcake recipe is pretty easy and not time-consuming at all. Plus, if you want to try making your own gluten-free frosting, there is a bonus recipe for mint buttercream frosting at the end. Whether you are suffering from gluten-related health problems or just curious about gluten free baking, I do encourage you to give this mint chocolate cupcake recipe a go. Happy baking, everyone!
Rate this Gluten-Free Cupacake Recipe
Gluten-Free Mint Chocolate Cupcakes - Ingredients
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free mint extract***
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- 3 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
- tiny pinch of salt
***Use 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract if you want to give your gluten free cupcakes a nice hint of mint. To make the cupcakes boldly minty, feel free to use one whole teaspoon.***
How to Make Gluten-Free Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, cream margarine with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, sour cream and mint extract. Mix together well.
- In another bowl, combine rice flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the egg mixture, then mix together until well-blended.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper cups. Fill about 2/3 of each cup with the gluten-free cupcake batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack, then top them with gluten-free cupcake frosting (recipe follows).
Gluten-Free Mint Buttercream Frosting
When it comes to topping these mint chocolate cupcakes, there are several good options. To keep it simple, just sift some confectioners' sugar over them. To make the cupcakes even more chocolatey, glaze them with some velvety ganache. If you prefer something very creamy and rich, cream cheese frosting is a way to go. Today, however, I decided to crown my gluten-free cupcakes with mint buttercream frosting along with some grated dark chocolate.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 - 4 tbsps heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free mint extract
- 1 - 2 tsps grated dark or semi-sweet chocolate (optional)
- 6 mint sprigs (optional)
- Cream together butter, sugar, mint extract and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream until light and fluffy.
- If the consistency is too thick, add more heavy cream to the mixture, one tablespoon at a time.
- Put your gluten free frosting into a pastry bag and pipe it onto the cupcakes.
- Garnish with grated dark chocolate and mint sprigs.
Nutrition Details for 1 Gluten-Free Mint Chocolate Cupcake without Frosting
|Serving size: 1 cupcake|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 33 g||11%|
|Sugar 17 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 50 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|