- Food and Cooking
How To Cook Onions On The Grill | Step-By-Step Recipe With Photos
Grilled Onion Recipe - The Perfect Side Dish For Your Outdoor BBQ
Growing up, my father spent many evenings cooking our meals on the grill. He was master of the BBQ, and could cook just about anything! There were many dishes I didn't want to try, as I was a picky eater. However, he knew how to add that special "dad" ingredient, and it always tasted better!
My father not only enjoys growing onions, but also grilling them. Grilled onions are an alternative side dish for your next outdoor barbecue. They are easy to prepare, use ingredients you have around the house, and don't cost a lot of money.
Grilled onions complement just about any meat dish, from chicken to beef to pork. By cooking them on the grill, the butter and garlic bring out the sweetness of the onions, adding the perfect flavor to your outdoor BBQ.
Cooking onions on the grill is easy, and uses common ingredients that most cooks have in their kitchens.
In addition to garlic, butter, salt and pepper, you'll need a cutting board, sharp knife, and aluminum foil.
- 4 large onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced garlic
- Butter or margarine
- Remove the paper-like outer skin. If the underlying layer looks damaged, then remove it as well
- Slice off about 1/4 inch from each end. This will make a base for the onion to sit, and make the top attractive.
- Cut each onion into 4 wedges. Make certain not to cut through the bottom, so the wedges will stay together.
- Spread the wedges open enough to insert a pat of butter and some minced garlic in each cut.
- Sprinkle each onion with salt and pepper
- Place on a square of foil, and twists the tops like a Hersheys kiss. Poke a few holes in the foil to allow steam to escape
- Heat your grill to medium, then place the foil packets over the heat source. Cook for 30-45 minutes
- Carefully unfold the foil packets to check for doneness. The edges should be slightly browned and the wedges soft. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes if the onions are not quite done.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before opening. Serve over meat, or as a side dish.
Rate this recipe!
Other Tasty Ingredients for Your Grilled Onions
For a different taste, substitute your favorite BBQ or Worcestershire sauce for the butter. Of, if you'd like to experiment with other flavors, try these alternative ingredients:
1) Chicken or beef bullion
2) Grated Parmesan cheese
3) Bacon slices - it is best to pre-cook your bacon before stuffing the onions, or the bacon may not cook thoroughly
Step-By-Step Pictorial InstructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Best Book on BBQ
If you like to BBQ, you probably already have several recipe books. However, this barbecue book is different, as the recipes come from restaurants and other BBQ places across America. It contains photographs on the featured restaurants, plus tips on how to choose a charcoal grill. A must-read and must-have for your cookbook library!
© 2012 Country Sunshine