- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Garlic Grilled Tomatoes - Juicy and Easy Recipe
Juicy Garlic Grilled Tomatoes
Grilled Tomatoes: Tasty Side Dish
Looking for an easy and tasty veggie addition to your meal?
These grilled tomatoes have the smokiness of the grill, the flavor of garlic ad herbs, and the juiciness of tomatoes made soft by cooking, and they are very easy to make.
This is a great side dish that can pair any grilled meal, or a non-grilled one.
Grilled tomatoes can be also a succulent appetizer and a great addition to any vegetarian meal.
Many Layers of Flavorful
When you grill the tomatoes, the sugar in them caramelizes and created a tasty crust that enhances and enriches the taste of the tomato.
The addition of garlic, Parmesan cheese, and thyme adds an extra kick to the flavor, very palatable and refreshing.
- Prep time: 8 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 23 min
- Yields: 8 people
- 6 Medium Ripe Tomatoes
- Garlic, minced
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cut your tomatoes in half length-wise and season with salt and pepper. Let them sit while the grill gets hot. Lightly oil the grill.
- Place the tomatoes cut face down on the hot grill.
- In the frying pan add minced garlic, olive oil, and fresh thyme and fry until golden. Take off the heat and add the Parmesan cheese.
- When the tomatoes have clear grill marks, place them on a flat surface, grilled face up, and spread the garlic mixture on top.
- Replace the tomatoes on the grill with the round side down, and continue to cook until they start sizzling.
- Serve hot, warm, or room temperature they are good at any temperature.
How Long Should I Grill The Tomatoes?
Tomatoes cook pretty quickly, smaller tomatoes cook faster than bigger ones. While grilling consider sizes and check on cooking level. A long exposure to the heat will make the tomatoes very mushy and semi-liquid. A good indicator of perfect cooking is when the skin comes easily off the tomato.
I left mine on the electric grill about 5 minutes with the cut side down, until black char marks formed, then few more minutes with the round side down.
I took them off as soon as I saw them sizzling, and they were quite soft inside. For firmer tomatoes reduce the time of cooking. Also, note that they will continue cooking for a little bit even off the grill.
Grilled Tomatoes Cooking Tips
- For best flavor use fresh garlic, fresh thyme, and grate the Parmesan Cheese from the wedge (Grana Padano) instead of using the grated one from the store.
- I like my grilled tomatoes with a burnt-like grill marks, but you can turn them sooner for less charred results.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes
Tomatoes have several healthy nutrients including vitamins, essential minerals, water, and even cancer-fighting elements like lycopene. You can read all about lycopene in my article about pasta puttanesca.
Some of the Nutrients Contained in Tomatoes
Carotenoid, gives red color to tomatoes, helps prevent bad cholesterol, or LDL, high blood pressure, and is a powerful antioxidant that fights the action of free radicals on cells.
Helps contain water retention and high blood pressure
Necessary to many body functions and to stay in good shape
Necessary for strong teeth and bones.
© 2012 Robie Benve