Grilled Veggie Shish Kabob
Shish Kabob Without The Meat
Shish Kabob is a personal favorite in our household. But sometimes, we just crave the grilled flavor without the heaviness of the meat. Since we have a garden and all those veggies, we decided to have a grilled veggie shish kabob night. We set out the veggies and everyone gets to chose his or her own. Other times we just shish kababob the veggies and set them out in a big bowl and let everyone have at it. You could also use this as a side recipe or side dish. It's healthy and a great way to use up your veggies. It's a great dish for anyone watching thier weight. How many calories in the dish will depend on which veggies you use.
Best Vegetables To Use For Veggie Kabobs
You can almost use any veggie for your kabobs. A lot of it depends on your personal taste. If you are trying to avoid carbs then eliminate the veggies that are higher in carbs or limit them. The best thing about this dish is that you are getting so much goodness in every bite.
- Cherry TomatoesOnly small tomatoes -- cherry, grape or pear -- should be used for shish kabobs
- Peppers Bell peppers are the pepper of choice. Just seed them and cut them into big pieces. You can add sweeteness or heat depending on the pepper that you use
- Onions- the smell of the onions grilling and carmelizing as they cook is one of the best parts of this dish. Red onions are your best choice. Cut the onions in half and then in quarters for easier skewering.You can also use whole pearl onions.
- Red Potatoes-Should be cooked just a little before grilling
- MushroomsMushrooms have a wonderful meaty flavor that works well in this dish. Button mushrooms are usually used as they are easy to skewer.They can be marinated in olive oli and vinegar for extra flavor.
- Summer squash- including zucchini, yellow crookneck squash and Patty Pan squash, all cook well on kabobs. Cut slices or chunks at least 1/2 inch thick to keep them from falling off the skewer when they are tender
- Eggplant Allthough not often though of, it brings a new taste to your dish
Veggie Kabob Tip #1
Carrots and Zucchini can be used, but must be partially cooked first. Cook them in boiling water.Carrots one minute, zuchhini and squash 5 minutes.Remove with slotted spoon and immerse in ice water. Set them in a bowl for use later.
Veggie Kabob Tip #2
If you are using bamboo shish kabob skewers, they should be soaked in water for an hour before use
Racks for shosh Kabob
Easy Veggie ShishKabob Basting Sauces
A basting sauce keeps your shish kabob skewers moist and juicy while giving plenty of flavor to the dish.
- Dijon Mustard Basting SauceWhisk together 1Â½ tbsp Dijon mustard , 1Â½ tbsp white wine vinegar,2 tsp olive oil,salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste in a small bowl , to make the basting sauce. You can make this one-day ahead if you like and store it covered in the refrigerator.
- Lemon Juice Basting Sauce 1/4 cup light olive oil, 6 large cloves roasted garlic,4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled,1/2 cup fresh lemon juice In a small glass or nonreactive metal bowl, combine the oil, garlic, thyme, and lemon juice. Whisk together until smooth.Preheat a grill pan over medium heat until very hot. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the kabobs with the basting sauce. Add to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, basting frequently. Turn and cook for 3 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Shish Kabob Spice And Seasonings - Add A Little Spice To Your Grilling
Veggie Shish Kabob Marinades
Marinades give flavor to your veggie shish kabob. They also make them tender and delicious. You can marinade anywhere from a few hours to overnight. All marinaded veggies should be stored in the refrigerator.
- Easy Veggie Shish Kabob Marinade Combine 1 cup of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce,1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary,6 chopped cloves garlic,3 chopped shallots,2 teaspoons black pepper,Â¼ cup red wine vinegar Soak the prepared vegetables in the marinade for a couple of hours and thread on skewers
- Sherry Marinade For Veggie Shish KabobFirst, soak bamboo shish kabob skewers in water for about 1 hour. Thread the veggies on the skewer. Combine 3 chopped cloves garlic,1 cup dry sherry and 2 chopped shallots in a pan over a high heat and reduce this mixture until you are left with about a tablespoon of sherry.Pour this into a bowl and add the 1 teaspoon peppercorns and1/4 cups sherry vinegar. Whisk in the 2/3 cup extra olive oil, and then add the1 tablespoon chopped fresh tyme. thyme, salt and black pepper to taste Pour this marinade over the vegetable kabobs and let them marinate for an hour.Cook on the grill for about 7 minutes basting the veggies with left over marinade.
- Overnight Veggie Shish Kabob Marinade 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon fresh sliced ginger. Mix together all the ingredients.Soak the vegetables of your choice, cut ionto bite sized pieces overnight in a plastic bag or airtight container.Grill
Veggie Kabob Tip # 3
For an easy marinade, use italian dressing. Place your veggies in the dressing for about 3-4 hours. Discard marinade. Thread the veggies on skewers and grill
We hope that you have enjoyed our veggie shish kabob ideas. Just writing this lens has made my mouth water, so I hope that you get the urge to make some reall soon ! Leave a tip, an idea or a thought. We'd love to hear from you. I'm off to fire up the grill !