Grilled Sausage Stuffed Peppers
I came up with this recipe for Grilled Sausage Stuffed Peppers as an alternative to the traditional stuffed peppers recipe that many of us know and love.
During the summer I like to be outdoors grilling just about everything I can and I thought stuffed peppers would be so delicious on the grill. I made a few changes and added different ingredients for a fun and tasty dish.
This is a great meal for company or anytime you want to dine outside.
1. For a vegetarian meal, substitute 2 cups of cooked rice for the sausage.
2. These can be made a day ahead up to the point of grilling.
3. Make a little tray out of aluminum foil to put on the bottom of each pepper. It helps the peppers stay upright during grilling and also prevents burning on the bottom.
- 4 large red or green bell peppers
- 1 lb chorizo or sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup chunky tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 14 -15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cheddar jack cheese, seperated
- Sour cream (optional)
- Remove tops and seeds from bell peppers.
- Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and add cold water.
- Meanwhile grill sausages, turning often, until cooked through.
- Chop sausage into small pieces.
- In a large bowl combine sausage, salsa, onion, black beans and 1 cup cheddar jack cheese.
- Dry peppers and wrap bottoms in aluminum foil.
- Stuff peppers with sausage mixture and top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Grill over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until peppers are cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream, if desired.
No more worries about overcooked or undercooked meat. A best seller on Amazon.com.
Add flavor to your grilled dishes with these cedar grilling planks.
Have this highly rated grill delivered right to your door with free shipping.