- Food and Cooking
A Wisconsin Girl's Guide to Everything Cheese
Smile and Say Cheese! Discover the Joy and Diversity of Wisconsin Cheese
As a home-grown girl from Wisconsin I know a lot about cheese. It comes in many forms: blocks, melted, shredded, grated, stringed, processed, hard, soft, semi-soft- the list goes on. Cheese can be an appetizer, snack, soup, sandwich, dinner, or desert. There are over 1,000 varieties of different cheeses. In Wisconsin we take cheese so seriously there are even laws in regard to its use and some of us choose to wear cheese hats! Cheese is one of the most versatile foods available that can either enhance a dish or be the dish all on its own.
Fun Facts About Cheese
- Cheese remains have been discovered in tombs in Egypt that are thought to be over 4,000 years old.
- Greece consumes the highest amount of cheese per capita of any country in the world.
- Some homes in ancient Rome had a room specifically for making cheese called a careale.
- The holes in Swiss cheese are created by the expansion of gas during the ripening period.
- Queen Victoria received a giant wheel of cheddar cheese as a wedding gift that weighted over 1,000 lbs.
- Wisconsin alone has 126 cheese plants and 18,000 dairy farms.
Make Your Own Cheese at Home
For many people making cheese is not only a hobby but a way of life. There are many quick and easy recipes and it can be very cost effective. All you need to get started in the way of equipment is cheesecloth, dairy thermometer, measuring spoons and a steel pot. There are fantastic cookbooks available with hundreds of delicious cheese recipes. There are also cheese making kits available that can be easier for beginners. Impress your guests at your next party by home-making your own cheese tray.
This top-rated Cheese-making cookbook provides easy to follow instructions on the basics of cheese-making as well as some more advanced techniques. The multitude of delicious recipes makes it an absolute must for any budding cheese-making enthusiast.
Cheese Making Kit
This cheese making kit will get you on your make to making your own delicious cheese in your home. There are multiple flavors and types available.
This kit is really easy to use and makes delicious cheese. We made a pizza using the cheese from this kit.
The History of Fondue
Fondue was a classic peasant dish created in Switzerland as way of using up old cheese. The cheese (traditionally Gruyere and/or Emmenthaler) would be melted in a pot combined with some brandy and would then become a dip for stale breads which would help soften the bread. It is thought that fondue is shared out of one pot due to the fact that poor Swiss villagers were unable to afford utensils so they all dipped out of the same pot.
The name Fondue is derived from the French verb "to melt" or fondre.
Fondue today has many variations of wine, cheeses and other seasonings and has branched out to include other types beside cheese such as the popular chocolate fondue.
Fondue Supplies and Cookbooks
Everything you need to start making delicious fondue in your home today!
"A dinner which ends without cheese is like a beautiful woman with only one eye."
~ Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Basic Cheesecake Recipe
Add your favorite topping
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup of the white sugar, and the melted butter together until combined. Grease a 9 inch springform pan and press mixture into the bottom.
2. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, vanilla, eggs and egg yolks; mix until smooth. Add the remaining 1 3/4 cups white sugar, flour and heavy cream. Blend until smooth. Pour batter into prepared crust.
3. Do not pre-heat oven. Bake at 200 degrees F (100 degrees C) and continue baking for 3 hours 10 minutes or until filling is firm but not too firm. Turn off oven and leave open a crack and let cheesecake cool for 1 hour, then refrigerate. Refrigerate overnight for best results.
Make a cheesecake tonight
This cheesecake cookbook provides many more delicious recipes so you can make your favorite tonight.
Includes a great variety of additional delicious recipes
Fun Wisconsin Cheese Gift
This is a great Wisconsin gifts to/from a Cheesehead. It combines two of a Wisconsinite's favorite things- cheese and beer!
© 2012 Melissa Miotke