Cranberry Nut Muffins
Muffins that are Good for You and Good to Eat
Do you need to watch your sugar intake but love a good sweet snack? I have found that a healthy muffin is the perfect snack to satisfy my mid day sweet cravings. The problem is that many of the commercial muffins are very high in both sugar and calories.
In order to have really good yet healthy muffins I have started to bake my own. When I do this I know exactly the ingredients that are involved and I work to keep the calories to under 150 per muffin. Through practice I have found some great combinations.
The cranberry nut muffin on this page is one of my favorites.
photos by mbgphoto
Delicious Cranberry Muffin - ready to eat
This recipe is low in fat and sugar and is very tasty.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup Splenda (granulated)
- 1 1/2 T Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup sugar free pancake syrup
- 1/4 cup egg beaters or 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons light whipped butter
- 2 Tablespoons no sugar added applesauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries chopped in halfs
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 12 muffin tin with cooking oil (Pam).
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside. Then mix milk,extract, eggs,pancake syrup, butter and applesauce till well blended. Next you add the dry ingredients to the milk mixture stirring only till all the ingredients are wet. Next fold in cranberries and nuts. Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 22 minutes. Remove from tins and cool on rack.
If you don't have Brown Sugar Blend on hand you can use 3 Tablespoons of regular brown sugar.
Splenda Brown Sugar Blend - a great way to cut down on sugar
I use this brown sugar blend whenever a recipe calls for brown sugar. I have found that it works well in all of my baking recipes. Just use half the amount that the recipe calls for brown sugar.
Sugar Free Pancake Syrup is the secret ingredient in this recipe. It gives you the sweetness without all the calories.
Sugar Free Pancake Syrup - Mrs. Butterworths
This is the pancake syrup I use all the time. It is low in calories only 20 in 1 Tablespoon and I find it to be delicious.
Muffin Tins - Is it time to replace those old muffin tins?
I know that my tins are getting well used. Perhaps it is time for some new ones.
I buy fresh cranberries in season and freeze them. No preparation needed just put bag of cranberries in freezer bag. For recipe take out the required amount of cranberries, rinse them and cut frozen berries in half.
For a fast and delicious snack, freeze your muffins and then when you are ready to eat a muffin just pop a frozen muffin in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Best Muffin Recipes
I love to look through recipe books. I may not always use the recipes exactly as they are written, but I always find good ideas for ingredients. With a little substitution I can make the recipe a bit healthier.