- Food and Cooking
Healthy Homemade Granola Bars with Coconut Oil
"I Can't Believe It's Healthy" Homemade Granola Bars Recipe
These healthy homemade granola bars use all natural ingredients, including coconut oil, flax meal and agave...plus, they don't have to bake, so they are fast and easy!
Have you ever taken your favorite not-so-healthy recipes and substituted the ingredients to make them oh-so-wholesome? That's how I came up with these delicious healthy homemade granola bars with no corn syrup or refined sugar. They are also no-bake, so there is no need to heat up your kitchen on a hot day. So easy and delicious, you'll never believe these are good for you! You and your kids will love these healthy homemade granola bars!
A Healthy Snack Kids Love!
Is making healthier meals and snacks one of your New Year's Resolutions for 2013? Scroll down to try this recipe! It is delicious, healthy, so easy to make...and my kids beg for it!
A Quick Note About This Granola Bar Recipe
Healthy Homemade Granola Bar Recipe
This is my own original recipe. If you re-post it somewhere, please link back to this page. Please do not use the photos. Thank you!
What We Eat
We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are. --Adelle Davis
Healthy and Delicious!
Ingredients for Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
1/2 cup natural crunchy peanut butter
1/4 cup agave nectar (or real honey)
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 cup oats
1/2 cup low-fat granola
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
2 Tbsp. milled flaxseed
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Fast and Easy!
1. In a saucepan, heat the peanut butter, agave nectar, and coconut oil over low to medium heat, stirring often - until all melted together.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, dump the remaining ingredients (except for the chocolate chips) and mix.
3. Pour peanut butter mixture into the dry mixture and mix with spatula until well incorporated. - Let cool for 10 minutes or chocolate chips will melt.
4. Now you can add the chocolate chips and fold them in to the mixture.
5. Press mixture into an ungreased square baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
6. Cut into 8 bars and serve one with a glass of milk. The perfect snack!
"I Can't Believe It's Healthy" Homemade Granola Bars
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 2 hours
- Ready in: 2 hours 15 min
- Yields: 8
- 1/2 cup natural crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (or real honey)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup low-fat granola
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
- 2 Tbsp. whole or milled flaxseed
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, heat the peanut butter, agave nectar, and coconut oil over low to medium heat, stirring often until the peanut butter is melted and the ingredients are well mixed (only about 2 minutes). Remove from heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, dump the remaining ingredients (except for the chocolate chips) and mix.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into the dry mixture and mix with spatula until well incorporated. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- After mixture has cooled a little, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press mixture into an ungreased square baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Cut into 8 bars and serve one with a glass of milk. The perfect snack!
What do you think?
Will You Be Trying These Healthy Homemade Granola Bars?
Substitutions for Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
Try substituting these other healthy ingredients
IF YOU DON'T HAVE...
- ...Agave nectar, you can use real honey. This will make them taste even sweeter.
- ...Coconut oil, use olive oil...or even vegetable oil, although it's not as good for you.
- ...Peanut butter, use almond butter...or any other kind of nut butter. All-natural is best!
- ...Raisins, try dried cranberries or any other kind of dried fruit. You can even skip this ingredient if you want!
- ...Oats, add 1 cup of granola.
- ...Granola, add 1/2 cup of oats!
- ...Chocolate chips, try butterscotch chips or carob!
- ...Milled flax seed, leave it out...or if you have whole flaxseeds, mill them yourself in a coffee grinder.
Experiment by substituting your own combinations of healthy ingredients...see what you can come up with!
A FEW TIPS when making Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
1. Coconut oil is solid in cooler temps and liquid when warmed up, so if you refrigerate these, they stay nice and firm. If you leave them on the counter, or use a different type of oil, they'll be a bit gooier.
2. If you don't want to use your stovetop, microwave your peanut butter until it's a thin, runny consistency and then add in your agave nectar and oil and mix them together. Only microwave peanut butter in short 15 second segments, stirring in between, until the desired consistency is reached. Peanut butter will burn in the microwave if it's nuked for too long!
3. You might want to double the recipe and make it in a 9 x 13 cake pan...these granola bars tend to disappear fast!
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Why Use Coconut Oil when making Healthy Homemade Granola Bars? - Health Benefits Galore!
Recently, I was talking with someone about this granola bar recipe and she questioned the "healthy" part of the title. It seems that there are some misconceptions about coconut oil that I'd like to briefly address. I have included some links to other resources on the web if you would like to look into this more thoroughly.
The healthy benefits of coconut oil are numerous and it is smart to start using this heart-healthy oil in your cooking and baking! Here are just some of the wonderful things coconut oil can do for you.
Information courtesy of the Coconut Research Center.
- Supports your immune system.
- Kills viruses, bacteria, fungi and yeast in your body.
- Improves your digestion system and your bowel function.
- Increases energy and endurance.
- Protects against certain cancers, including breast and colon.
- Protects your gums and teeth from disease.
- Improves cholesterol and decreases the risk of heart disease.
- Reduces inflammation and supports the repair and healing of tissue.
- Dissolves kidney stones and helps relieve gallbladder disease symptoms.
- Protects against osteoporosis.
- Helps with symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- Aids in weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight.
- ...and SO much more!
Coconut Oil Benefits
Buy Coconut Oil
at Amazon...get the best deals on Coconut Oil!
Check out these deals on Coconut Oil!
Learn More About the Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Find other healthy snacks in my favorite cookbook for kids!
© 2011 Brandi