Homemade Banana Pudding Recipes
Make your own homemade banana pudding
Banana pudding is a tasty dessert and is a Southern cuisine classic. Its sweet, creamy and crunchy and is a traditional dessert in many families.
Here I will share some classic homemade banana pudding recipes that you can make that will impress your family and friends. This popular dessert can be made by two different methods, baked and refrigerated. Traditionally it is actually made from a custard, but it can be made from banana pudding too.
photo credit: Wiki Commons
My Favorite Banana Pudding Recipe
Here is a tasty homemade banana pudding recipe that you can quickly make and will be a sure hit. Here is how you make it:
Half cup of sugar
Two tablespoons of flour (I use King Arthurs)
A pinch of salt
Two cups of whole milk
Four separated eggs (save both the whites and yolks in separate bowls)
One tablespoon of vanilla extract
One box of Vanilla Wafers (I recommend Nabisco)
Five average sized ripe bananas
1. In a sacue pan, mix together the milk, flour, salt and sugar.
2. Stir for about 15 minutes over low heat until thickened.
3. Whisk the egg yolks in bowl and stir into mixture and continue stirring slowly. Cook about 5 more minutes.
4. Remove the saucepan from heat and then mix in the vanilla.
5. Line bottom of a medium sized casserole dish with the vanilla wafers, sliced bananas and custard mixture. Continue to repeat the layers but be sure to end with the custard as the top layer.
6. Beat egg whites until they thicken. Then add 1/4 cup of sugar and whisk until if fluffs.
7. Add the thickened egg whites to make a top layer over the custard. Bake in oven at 450 until top layer is browned.
7. Remove the banana pudding from oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
These are a must have ingredient in every homemade banana pudding recipe. The Nabisco Nilla Wafers are my favorite.
My personal favorite. You can't go wrong with these. The Nabisco Nilla Wafers are by far the most popular and easy to find option too.
Benton's is another popular brand for vanilla wafers.
These are literally wafers, not the traditional cookie shaped version. Try these to put a twist on your recipe.
For making a gluten free version of homemade banana pudding
If you want to watch your sugar, use these sugar-free vanilla wafers.
The Banana Pudding Festival
Believe it or not, there is a Banana Pudding Festival that is held at the Centerville River Park & Jerry Dixon Walking Trail in Centerville, TN. The festival pays homage to all things banana pudding and features live music and vendors.
They also have a banana pudding cook off where you can enter the competition with your recipe for a chance to win a cash prize and of course the fame of having the best banana pudding recipe.
Learn more at http://bananapuddingfest.org.
More Great Homemade Vanilla Pudding Recipes
Looking for more options in making your own homemade vanilla pudding? Here are some great recipes.
- Banana Pudding Recipe
The food network offers some excellent recipes for banana pudding from their team of expert chefs.
- Banana Pudding Recipe from MyRecipes.com
I really like the presentation of these individual servings of banana pudding.
- How To Make Homemade Banana Pudding
Since banana pudding is a Southern cuisine recipe, it only makes sense that we feature a recipe from southernplate.com
- Sugar Free Banana Pudding Recipe |
Sugar Free Banana Pudding - This is a recipe that I just kept playing with till I got it the way my husband liked it. Since we are both diabetic I wanted to figure out a way to make him one of his favorite desserts. This is one that he really likes
- Old-Fashioned Banana Pudding (gluten-free)
Here is a tasty traditional old fashioned banana pudding recipe that is also gluten-free.
Banana Pudding Recipe Videos
I learn well by watching videos. if you are like me, here are some great videos that teach you how to make banana pudding at home with some easy to follow recipes.
Instant Banana Pudding
Sometimes you just don't want to messing with making things from scratch. That's where Jell-O comes in =).
Here are some great time saving options to make some tasty banana pudding.
Watching your sugar intake? Try this sugar-free option of instant banana pudding.
This one is my favorite of the instant banana puddings as I prefer the taste of real sugar
Take some banana cream pie pudding with you while you're on the go.