Homemade Big Mac Sauce
The Secret to Big Mac Sauce; You can Make it at Home!
Don Gorske polished off his 25,000th Big Mac on May 17, 2011, just 39 years to the day of biting into his first of many McDonald's sandwiches. That whopper of a number is not a typo, this former prison guard from Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin, enjoys a Big Mac or 2 nearly every day and describes them as the "best thing [he] ever ate in [his] life".
McDonalds helped him celebrate with a special ceremony, serving him the monumental sandwich in front of local and national news crews. The coverage caught my attention and inspired my husband and I to recreate the famous Big Mac sandwich in our home kitchen. The secret is really in the sauce so read on for a Big Mac sauce recipe, created from ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Photo used under Creative Commons from Comedy_Nose.
How fast can you say?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, all on a sesame seed bun!
Some stores gave out free Big Macs if you could get all that out in less than 3 seconds.
Big Macs are really all about the special sauce and this homemade recipe for Big Mac sauce is as good as the real thing and is whipped up in now time from ingredients you probably already have in the fridge.
- 2/3 cup mayonaise
- 4 tsp ketchup
- 4 tsp mustard
- 4 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp plain dill pickle relish
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 TBS minced onion
- Shake up the mayo, ketchup and mustard bottles before squeezing out all ingredients. No one wants watery sauce. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk thoroughly. Chill for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- You could easily halve this recipe and still have plenty of sauce, but we like to make the extra for french fry dipping and leftover Big Mac wraps! Yep, leftovers make a perfect lunch by chopping up the leftover hamburger patties and combining it with the sauce, lettuce, onion and cheese in a tortilla wrap.
- Looking for a "healthier" Big Mac sauce? Try FF miracle whip, low sugar ketchup and omit the extra salt.
- All Photo Rights Reserved by Nibbled.
Mouthwatering Big Macs Made at Home - Epic Fast Food Copycat recipe
All Photo Rights Reserved by CarterPants.
This is what our homemade Big Mac ended up looking like. They were hefty burgers, if we attempted this epic meal again, I would look for the preformed hamburger patties as they are thinner then the hand patted patties and more McDonald's like. This was too tall to fit in even the biggest mouth!
Proper Assembley of a Big Mac - For Big Mac Special Sauce Lovers
This is one mammoth burger when done off the grill. I dare you to finish it!
- A lightly buttered & toasted bun heel
- Slathering of Special Big Mac Sauce
- One all beef patty
- One slice of American Cheese
- Two dill pickle slices
- A sprinkling of shredded lettuce and minced onion
- Another lightly buttered & toasted heel with special sauce on both sides (coat one side and stick it sauce side down before saucing up the other side)
- One all beef patty
- Another slice of American cheese
- Two more dill pickles
- Sprinkle on that shredded lettuce and minced onion
- Top it all off with another sauced lightly buttered & toasted bun crown
The Ultimate Sauce Whisk - Nylon Whisk by Pampered Chef
Sure, I was suckered into buying this through a home party, but I couldn't live without it now. You may think a nylon whisk would be too wimpy. But nope this thing scrapes the sides of the bowl like a scraper, but still whips sauces and eggs like no metal whisk could.
Sauce Storage Containers - Keep sauce on hand for a Big Mac Attack
More on Don Gorske & the Big Mac - Links to some great articles & video
- Man eats 25,000th Big Mac, 39 years after his 1st - US news - Weird news - msnbc.com
Detailed article with details on Don and his Big Mac diet.
- Fond du Lac man chows down 25,000th Big Mac - eatocracy.cnn.com
Check out the monumental moment via video of Don biting into his 25,000th Big Mac.
- Man To Eat His 25,000th Big Mac Today - The Consumerist
Don stays healthy on his Big Mac diet by avoiding the fries and regular exercise.
- Big Mac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All you ever wanted to know about Big Mac history.
...it probably still takes 16 bites for me to finish a Big Mac ~ Don Gorske