- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The Best-Ever Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Is Comfort Food At Its Best
If you love chicken pot pie, you know that there is absolutely nothing as yummy or comforting as a fresh, homemade chicken pot pie.
If you have only ever had the commercial versions, then you really have been missing a treat.
I have been making this suppertime pie as a special occasion treat for twenty years and I can assure you that the recipe is neither easy nor quick.
As a matter of fact, I am ordinarily pastry challenged but the final result of this recipe convinces me to persevere.
If you are looking for a recipe that results in the most amazing chicken pot pie you've ever eaten, then you should definitely try this one.
If pastry is 'easy as pie' for you, then this recipe will not be a challenge.
The best-ever homemade chicken pot pie recipe is from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks from a series of books produced by Time-Life in their American Country series. It is called Country Cooking: Recipes for Traditional Country Fare. It features many of my favorite comfort food recipes and although long since out of production, it is still readily available through Amazon at a very affordable price. You can order a copy for your collection by . clicking right here
Time-Life called this recipe "chicken pot pie in a cheese crust."
Now, won't you settle in to read this page and join me for a slice of chicken pot pie?
Chicken Pot Pie In A Cheese Crust Recipe - Serves 6 to 8 people.
1.5 cups flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsps parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 stick (4 ounces) chilled butter cut into bits
3 to 4 tbsps ice water
2 cups chicken broth (I use homemade but you can use canned)
1/4 pound small white onions (I use cut up regular-sized white onions)
2 cups peeled and diced yam or sweet potato
3/4 to 1 tsp crumbled sage
1/4 tsp pepper
2 medium-sized carrots cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup flour
4 tbsps butter at room temperature
3 cups cooked chicken cut into bite sized pieces
1 beaten egg
- Pastry:In a large bowl combine the flour, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper. Cut in the butter until it looks like coarse meal; perhaps smaller than peas. Add the 3 tablespoons of water and work it in, adding up to another tablespoon of water until you form a dough that you can gather in a ball. Divide it in half, press it into a disc shape, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Filling:In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the onions, yam, sage and pepper. Cook until the yam is just starting to get tender, about 5 minutes, then add the carrots, broccoli and celery and cook for another 5 minutes.In a small bowl, with your fingers, blend the flour with the butter. Increase the heat under the pot to high and pinch off pieces of the flour butter mix, dropping them into the pan and stirring to mix them in. Cook until the sauce has thickened a little bit, about 3 minutes and then remove from the heat and stir in the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll half of the dough into a 12-inch circle which will fit into your 9-inch pie pan. Add the filling and then roll the other half of the dough into a 9-inch circle to place on top. Trim the overhang to about 1/2 an inch all the way around and then fold this extra pastry over the top crust, crimping to seal. Cut steam vents or use a pie bird to vent the pie. Brush the pie with the beaten egg.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes and then lower the temperature to 325 degrees and bake a further 10 to 15 minutes until it is golden.
You Can Use A Glass, Ceramic, Metal or Cast Iron Pie Pan
I prefer my Pyrex glass 9 1/2 inch pie plate with handles, which is like the one shown here. It is from the 'Grip-Rite' series. The handles make taking pies out of the oven much easier. Pyrex has designed it with special attention to consumer comfort, convenience and ease of use.
Amazon customer reviews of this pyrex pie dish include comments like S.C. Sander’s that she really likes the grips on this pie dish, Cristiano Fontes’ that this dish lives up to the reputation of Pyrex and K. Knorr’s that these dishes are not fancy but that that is rather irrelevant when you serve a homemade pie in one!
Shortcuts For Making Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
Bake a roast chicken one day and save 3 cups of cooked chicken for this recipe. With the carcass of the roast chicken, make chicken broth the same night as you roasted it. Both the chicken and the broth can be frozen so that you can make the pie at a future date. Use canned broth or substitute if you are trying to speed up the process but beware of sodium. The entire pie can be made ahead and cooked from frozen when required.
Country Pot Pie Recipes From Celebrity Chefs
- Chicken Pot Pie Recipe From Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, On The Food Network
Food Network invites you to try this Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Ina Garten.
- Chicken Pot Pie In A Mug Recipe From Rachael Ray On The Food Network
Food Network invites you to try this Chicken Mug Pie recipe from Rachael Ray. From the show called 30 Minute Meals, episode: A Taste of Home.
- Chicken Pot Pie Throwdown With Casserole Queens & Bobby Flay
Bobby Flay challenges the Casserole Queens of Austin, Texas, to a Chicken Pot Pie throwdown. The Food Network chef won on the originally aired show in March 2009, but as Crystal Cook and Sandy Pollock says, "Everyone agreed we should have won."
- Lighter Chicken Pot Pie Recipe From Martha Stewart
Martha Stewart shares a lighter chicken pot pie recipe.
- Perfect Chicken Pot Pie From Martha Stewart
Martha Stewart shares the perfect chicken pot pie recipe.
A Vintage Pie Bird
I do not have a pie bird yet but I would like to own one. They are so cute and they are practical, allowing your pie to vent. There are some amazing new, used and vintage pie birds out there. If you are interested in pie birds, you might enjoy the great selection at A Pie Bird is A Baker's Tool.
Oxo Pie Server
This pie lifter features a brushed stainless-steel handle, flexible rubber fins for comfort, serrated edges for easy of cutting, a strong and flexible head. Dishwasher safe. Amazon customer M. Nicholson writes that this Oxo pie server is sharp and strong and she likes the fact that it is serrated on both sides.
I Use A Basic Wooden Rolling Pin
I use a simple wooden rolling pin with a cylinder which turns. This one is made of Danish hardwood and cleans up with warm soap and water.
Pot Pies By Beatrice A. Ojakangas
Pot Pies By Beatrice A. Ojakangas
Doesn't this book, Pot Pies, look delicious? With more than 40 recipes for pot pies, you know there is going to be one or two there to please everyone. Included are recipes for Finnish Country Vegetable Pie, Herbed Leek and Chevre Tart, Seafood Gumbo Pie and more.
Have you ever had a homemade chicken pot pie?
More of the Best-Ever Recipes
Martha Stewart and I share a unique journey to a yummy lemon cupcake.
A huge hit in our household, you will love these sloppy joes.
These creamy scalloped potatoes are definitely comfort food!
Delicious and EASY, is this baked ham recipe!
The best carrot cake you will ever eat.
More comfort food, this one an amazing corn chowder.
© 2009 Treasures By Brenda