The Best Homemade Soup Recipes
My Favorite Homemade Soup Recipes
It's National Soup Month! January is National Soup Month, and I can't think of a better way to celebrate than to share my favorite homemade soup recipes.
What better month to celebrate soup than one of the coldest months of the year (January)? Soup is a great way to warm up after being out in the cold, and with the record breaking low temps the U.S has endured this January, I'm guessing a record number bowls of soup have been eaten as well.
Now is a perfect time to make delicious homemade soups, so let's start cooking!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
A twist on your traditional chicken and noodle soup, this chicken and tortellini soup is a delicious, easy recipe that combines chicken broth with a blend of veggies, chicken breast and cheese filled tortellini. This can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish.
2 T veg oil
3/4 pound chicken breasts (uncooked), cut into cubes
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1 cup frozen cut green beans
Â¾ cut chopped onion
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup cheese-filled tortellini
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat 1 T veg oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until juices are no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the pot.
2. Add the remaining oil to the pot, then add the carrots, green beans and onions. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, but still crisp.
3. Stir in the broth and increase the heat to boiling. Add the tortellini and parsley. Cook for 10 minutes or until the tortellini is tender.
4. Return the chicken to the pot and simmer on low (you just want to heat the chicken back up).
This recipe is a Swanson's Chicken Broth recipe and can be found at CambellsKitchen.com.
Must Have Kitchen Utensils - Perfect for cooking soups and stews
This thick and hearty potato soup is great with a hunk of sourdough bread or with a blt sandwich.
2 cups cubed potatoes
1 cup water or chicken broth
8 bacon strips
1 cup chopped onion
Â½ cup chopped celery
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 Â¾ cups milk or half and half
Â½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh parsley (optional)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Cook potatoes in water (or chicken broth) until tender. Cook the bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside. SautÃ© the onion and celery in the same pan you used for the bacon until tender. Add the onion and celery to the soup pot with your potatoes (do not drain the potatoes after cooking). Stir in condensed cream of chicken soup, milk (or half and half for a thicker consistency), salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until heated through. Crumble the bacon, set aside about Â¼ cup. Add the remaining bacon and the parsley to the soup. Sprinkle the reserved bacon along with the shredded cheddar cheese on top and enjoy.
* Tip: When I first started making this soup I left the skin on the potatoes (I LOVE potato skin!). Unfortunately, the skins fell off and got soggy in the soup, so I started peeling the potatoes. As much as I love potato skins, peeling the potatoes is a MUST for this recipe!
Best Beer Cheese Soup
The name may sound a little funny, but this really is the best cheese soup, and it really is made with beer :
5 slices bacon
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stick, diced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cans or bottles of domestic beer (12 oz)
1 pound processed cheese food, cubed
Â½ pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the bacon until crisp, set aside, crumble when cool
2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion, carrot and celery in the butter until soft (about 7-10 minutes). Add the bacon, basil, oregano, and green onions. Cook for another 2 minutes. Stir the flour into the mixture until completely dissolved. Add the chicken broth and beer; cook until heated through (the alcohol will cook out of the beer). Add the processed cheese and the cheddar cheese gradually so it will melt evenly. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Simmer and enjoy.
Even More Soup Recipes...
- Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
Get delicious slow cooker recipes for stews, chili, chicken, sandwich fillings, and pot roasts from AllRecipes.com.
- Soup Recipes: Chicken Noodle Soup, Potato Soup, Tomato Soup and More
Find tasty and easy to prepare soup recipes including recipes for chicken noodle, potato, tomato soup and more from the experts at FoodNetwork.com.
- Soup Recipes from the Soup Experts: Campbell's
Whether you're in the mood for a hot comforting bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup or a cool summer gazpacho, Campbell's Kitchen has plenty of recipes to pick from.
EbizTaxTips (Kristine McKinley) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, endless.com, smallparts.com or myhabit.com.