- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Homemade Thousand Island Salad Dressing Recipe
When I was growing up my grandmother would mix mayo and ketchup for a basis salad dressing. My mother would just buy Thousand Island dressing at the store. One day I didn’t have any salad dressing and thought I’d mix something together based on the mayo/ketchup recipe. This is my version of a homemade Thousand Island dressing that you’re used to getting at the supermarket. This is another great simple recipe that you can add or subtract ingredients as you wish.
4 oz. mayo
1 oz. mustard (yellow or brown)
1½ oz. tomato ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced
1 to 2 oz. sweet or dill relish
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar (more or less depending on consistency)
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl using a fork mix together the mayo, mustard and ketchup until blended.
2. Add garlic and relish and mix together.
3. Add red wine vinegar a little at a time until you get a smooth consistency.
4. Add pepper to taste.
5. Serve on a salad with tomatoes and carrots, or as a dipping sauce for vegetables.