How to Make a Hot Dog Squid
Hot Dog Squid !!! Kids Love Them !!!
Kids love to eat fun food - Why not try jazzing up the typical hot dog ! Make it a Squid Dog or a Hot Dog Octopus...
Step by step directions on how to make the hot dog SQUID as well as the hot dog Octopus. They are quite easy just takes a few minutes and a tiny bit of creativity.
Surprise the kids tonight with a silly dinner. You'll be a cool Mom!
The "Octodog" - a Frankfurter Converter!
A Fast and Easy Tool to Make Hotdog Squids/Octopus
Many people want to make these squids and octopi, but find it too tedious. With this tool, it takes only seconds, and they come out great!
(The photo at top of lens is of a hot dog made with this tool.)
How to use the Octodog
This is a video review from TV that they go through the process with the "Octodog" Frankfurter Converter Tool (just in case you don't quite understand it ...)
Have you ever made a Hot Dog Squid / Octopus ?
Directions to make the Big Squid/Octopus - Without the "octodog" tool...
Takes a bit more work than with the Octodog tool, but can be done.
- Take a hot dog and cut it lengthwise, leaving about 1.5 inches uncut.
- Turn and repeat, so that there are 4 sections at the bottom.
- Now Turn again and cut each of the 4 in half lengthwise again so that there are 8 pieces with one common section at the top.
- If Squid is desired and not Octopus, you may want to put a little notch at the top and point the top as well ... to make it more squid-like and less octopus-like.
- Be creative, you can twist knife to make 2 small holes for eyes and a little slit for a smile, and they will be noticeable after cooking.
- Cook as desired - microwave for 30 secs (for 2) to have long floppy legs.
- boil to plump it up and have the legs curl.
Which do you like better ?
How to make Hot Dog & Spaghetti Squid - These really look like Squid, not Octopus
- Cut Hot Dogs into pieces that are approximately 1 inch long
- Stand a piece up on it's cut end
- Take a piece of uncooked spaghetti and break in half
- push one of the pieces of (previously broken in half) uncooked spaghetti into the upright hot dog piece until it hits the surface below
- Repeat this several times till there are many pieces of spaghetti sticking up out of the hot dog
- If your creative, you can twist knife to make 2 small holes for eyes and a little slit for a smile, and they will be noticeable after cooking, but this part is optional ...
- Boil them - with hot dogs and spaghetti both submersed in water
- When spaghetti is done as desired, remove from pan and serve
These are also great served swimming in tomato soup!!
Directions to make the Little Squid
- Cut a hotdog in half.
- Take each of the halves and cut them lengthwise in half again - to make quarters that are flat on the bottom but half a hot dog in length.
- Take one of the quarters, and notch the top to make a point at the top (can be nearly a point with a little flat part at top).
- Make 2 more notches about half inch down - to be the bottom of the squid's head.
- Now make several slits that come up to the last notch you made to make the squid legs.
- Boil to plump the hot dog and separate the squid legs.
Directions for the Little Octopus
- Cut Hot dogs in half
- Working on one half at a time, slice halfway up the remaining hot dog and follow the directions above for the big Octopus.
Hot Dog Slicer
This hot dog slicer is great for two reasons:
1. It's adorable and gives the kids some fun while they eat.
2. It cuts up the hot dog nice and quick - especially if you have a few kids.
I have this slicer and it always makes for a nice treat for the little ones.