How to: Canning Jars
When summer comes to an end and the scent of autumn rains spread around us, we are reminded that the winter is near and is time to prepare winter supplies. The one thought that comes to us at that moment is canning jars. And lots of it...
There are so many manufacturers and so many different brands of canning jars.
Which one are the best?
Where to find the best deal on canning supplies?
What about pickling jars?
We will try to find all the answers here.
An excellent way to preserve the harvest for the winter is by canning. It may sound difficult if you have not done it before but with a few tutorials and a few tips and tricks you will soon become a canning pro.
Before you begin it's very important to get your equipment and supplies out and inspect them so you are ready when the crops are. Buy some new lids if the old ones have nicks and cracks. if they have cracks they will not seal well and your food will spoil very fast. Also inspect your jars.
So what do you need for canning vegetables?
1. Boiling -Water Canner - this is a very large pot that is higher than all your jars. When you emerge them into water they have to be covered completely. This is used for canning mainly fruits. They don't need to be canned with pressure canner because they contain natural acids which keep bacteria from growing inside the jar.
2. Pressure Canner - is used for canning vegetables
3. Canning Jars - Make sure to boil them for a few minutes before using them (in a pot filled with water or in a dish washer). This will help sterilise the jars.
4. Lids and bands - You can use old lids but it is best if you buy new each year. If they are damaged they will not close well. You need them to close the jars. Make sure you wipe the jar rim before you seal it because food debris or salt left behind will prevent it from sealing.
5. Canning salt - This is actually optional. some people use regular salt.
How to Can Tomatoes and Vegetables
Detailed description on how to can vegetables
Find the best deals on canning jars on Amazon
So you want to display some of your canning jars? Your pickled vegetables would look great on a display shelves in the kitchen?
Here are some of the best deals on decorative canning jars.
Canned or Fresh?
Do you can fruits and vegetables?
Yes, i don't like the taste of winter vegetables so I prepare winter supplies regulary
Tips and tricks
Leave a headspace at the top of each jar before you seal it. This small amount of empty space will allow room for the food to expand while it is cooking.
Label your canned fruits and vegetables with these jar labels
Sterilize Canning Jars with a Pressure Cooker - How to Can Fruits & Vegetables
One Important Thing
Heat the jar lids before you place them on the jars. Just bring them to a simmer and turn off the heat. If you boil the lids (flats,) it may damage the rubber seal and prevent it from sealing. Keep the lids in hot water until you are ready to use them. The heat from the actual processing will kill any bacteria left behind.