- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How To Cook Beef Tenderloin Roast
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 15 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 35 min
- Yields: 2-3
Beef tenderloin is one of the most desired parts of the steer. It is,by far, a more tender section of meat to eat because it comes from the “psoas major muscle”. It’s the section in the upper part of the rib cage (the back of the cow) and it is muscle that the cows never use. This means that it is not toughened during the life of the animal; leaving it juicier and softer than the other muscles and meat that are eaten. This tenderloin has a natural buttery flavor and the roast simple melts in your mouth. Some recipes call for a 500 degree F broil, but since I like potatoes and other vegetables with my roasts, I prefer to have a lower and slower cook temperature and cook time. This is an excellent meal for a Friday or Saturday evening dinner or a wonderful Sunday lunch. Any leftovers can easily be made into sandwiches, since the meat is so tender (just slice it on the thin side). Also, since it takes less than two hours from start to finish, this is one of the quicker "big" meal recipes. NOTE: The carrots, onion, turnips and potatoes will come out on the “tougher” side when cooked this way. They are fully cooked, but they are not mushy. Personally, I enjoy them this way. If you prefer your vegetables on the softer side, I suggest you par-boil them for 15 minutes before you add them to the roasting pan and beef before cooking them together in the oven. also you can cut them into smaller pieces instead of quatering them before cooking.
Kitchenware That You'll Need
1. A 18x15 Roasting With A Rack Insert
2. A Vegetable Peeler
3. A Cutting Board
4. Cutting Knife And Tongs
5. Oven Mittens
- 2 lb. Beef Tenderloin
- 4 Red Potatoes
- 4 Turnips
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Garlic Bulb, halved
- (or) 3 tablespoon Garlic (in a jar), Minced / Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 sprigs Rosemary
Which tenderloin is your favorite: beef or pork?
Items That Might Interest You
- Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees F, while you prepare the ingredients.
- Wash the carrots, turnips and potatoes.
- Peel Onion, Carrots, Turnips, and Potatoes. remove the stems and other stalks.
- Chop the Carrots into 2 inch pieces.
- Quarter the Onion, Turnips, and Potatoes.
- Rub the Beef Tenderloin completely with Garlic. For the halved bulb, just rub it across the beef; for the jarred garlic mince, just smother it all over the meat.
- Sprinkle beef with cracked black pepper.
- Place beef tenderloin on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Line the sides of the pan with the rosemary sprigs, quartered onion, carrots, turnip and potatoes.
- Cook between 1 hour and 1 hour and 15 minutes or so until the internal temperature of the beef is between 145-150 Degree F. Check the temperature at the one hour mark, and again at 1:15. If it is still not ready, continue cooking (and then checking temperature) at 15 minute intervals until it reaches the proper temperature.
- Let the roast rest for between 20 and 30 minutes before slicing it. Serve the beef tenderlion with the roasted onion, turnips,potatoes and carrots. Ladle the pan drippings over the beef (or make a gravy out it) if desired.