How To Cook Chicken Wings In The Oven
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- Yields: 6 servings
Chicken Wing Poll
How do you like your Chicken Wings?
Chicken wings are great; we normally tend to find them at a sports bar or some kind of themed restaurant. If we eat them at home, it tends to be either cooked on the grill (slathered liberally with barbeque sauce) or, if you’re daring, they’re deep fried in oil in a cooking pot (which can be dangerous inside the home) so, there is always the oven.
There are multiple ways to prepare wings using the oven: you can bake them with vegetable and herb and served with potatoes. There is also the oven barbeque method (depending on your dedication, there’s the low and slow method: 120 degree F for 12 plus hours, or there is the more simplistic way by cooking the first then brushing them with barbeque sauce).
There is always story of the famous Buffalo Wings: At the Anchor Bay in Buffalo, New York (owned by Frank and Teressa Bellissimo). There was a group of high school students (including their son, Dominic) which came in later in the evening, so they whipped up a quick dish on the spot (since, apparently, there wasn’t much ready to eat). The quick dish was fried chicken wings, tossed in a sauce made out of melted margarine and hot sauce and served with an order of house dressing and celery on the side. There are three variations to this story (one, that the son invented them, another, that the mother invented them, and the third, that the father had extra wings and asked the mother to come up with some dish using them.
The following recipe is for baking the chicken wings in the oven and then coating them in a homemade, original recipe, Buffalo Wing sauce (a mixture of melted margarine, hot sauce and vinegar). If you want, you can bypass the Buffalo sauce and serve them covered in barbeque sauce or with mashed potatoes. The chicken wing recipe is universal and can be used for any dinner recipe.
Ingredients and Kitchenware Needed
- 1 package (2-3 lbs) Fresh Chicken Wings, 15-18 wings
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Hot Sauce, (tabasco Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F.
- Place the chicken wing on the rack in the roasting pan.
- Make sure that they are in one layer, touching is fine, but not overlapping each other.
- Sprinkle chicken wing with pepper if desired.
- Bake the chicken wings for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Let the wings rest for 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooling, make the original recipe homemade Buffalo sauce.
- Place 2 sticks (1 cup) of room temperature margarine in a large glass mixing bowl.
- Microwave (on high for 40 seconds, or however long it takes to completely melt the margarine)
- Add the tablespoon of vinegar.
- Start with 1 tablespoon of tabasco sauce, add and whisk together.
- Taste to see if it is the desired heat level you wish.
- Add another tablespoon hot sauce if desired.
- Allow wings to cool (to the touch).
- Dip, coat, brush, or toss in the wings in the hot sauce margarine mixture.
- Serve with celery and house or ranch dressing, if desired.