Recipe for Christmas Drunken Fruitcake
Drunken or Boozy Fruitcake
One of the nicest fruitcakes to make is the drunken (or boozy) fruit cake. As its name implies, this fruitcake contains alcohol. (The alcohol can be replaced by fruit juice but this will give the cake a much shorter storage life.)
Drunken fruitcake is far moister than a standard fruitcake because of the large quantities of alcohol used in the recipe. Due to the preservative nature of alcohol, this fruitcake will remain edible and appetizing for several months if kept in an airtight container. It's usually baked at Christmas-time or other winter holidays, but it's a wonderful cake to make at any time of the year.
Do you like drunken boozy fruit cake?
A Winter Treat for Xmas Holidays
The drunken fruitcake is made in the darkest part of winter and is intended to warm the spirit as well as provide fuel for the body. It is made by soaking dried fruit in alcohol before baking. After it's cooked yet more alcohol is added. The cake is soaked in alcohol and becomes moist and melt-in-the-mouth delicious. Don't just take my word for it; bake one today and try it for yourself!
Three Steps to Heaven
To make this tasty fruit cake, there are three steps.
1. The dried fruits are soaked in alcohol overnight so that they are enlarged before they are added to the dry ingredients.
2. The cake is baked using the alcohol bloated fruits.
3. The optional final stage is to “irrigate” the cake after it has been baked with even more alcohol.
Ingredients for the Fruitcake
The following quantities will make a very rich, eight inch drunken fruit cake.
6oz soft brown sugar
2oz Muscovado sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons mixed spice
10oz plain flour
5 large eggs
The prepared drunken fruit mixture (as given below)
Ingredients for the Drunken Fruit Mixture
1 ½ pounds of dried fruit and candied peel
This can be in any combination, but a good mix is as follows: 6oz light raisins, 6oz dark raisins, 4oz chopped dried figs, 4oz chopped dates, and 4oz mixed peel.
2oz superfine sugar
½ cup of hot water
1½ cups of brandy
A small orange
Heaped teaspoonful cinnamon
How to Make the Dried Fruit Swell
1. Make a sugar syrup by dissolving the sugar into the hot water.
2. In a large bowl pour the sugar syrup over the dried mixed fruit.
3. Add the brandy, the cinnamon and then the zest and juice of the orange.
4. Stir it all together. Cover the bowl with Clingfilm or foil and place it in the fridge to rest. You should allow at least twenty-four hours for the dried fruit mixture to absorb all the liquid.
The boozy fruit is prepared the previous day.
How to Make the Boozy Fruit Cake
1. Turn the oven on before you start to prepare the cake. That way it will have heated up by the time you have finished making your mixture. The cake needs to be baked at 325 degrees Fahrenheit, 170 degrees Centigrade or Gas Mark 3 for about two hours.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Stir in the treacle.
4. Add the eggs one at a time and beat air into the mixture as you do so. This will help your final cake taste light and airy.
5. Gently fold in the sieved flour and the mixed spice. The action of folding at this stage in the recipe, rather than beating, will help maintain the cake’s lightness.
6. Add the plump alcoholic fruit mix and stir the mixture well (but don’t beat it). This will help the fruit to be evenly distributed throughout the cake.
7. To stop the cake from sticking to your baking tin, grease it well or use greaseproof paper before pouring the mixture into it.
8. Put the cake into the preheated oven. Different ovens affect how long the cake will take to be ready.
9. About 15 minutes before the two-hour baking period is up, test to see if your cake is done by inserting a clean knife or skewer into it. If the knife comes out cleanly with no crumbs sticking to it, then the cake is cooked.
10. Turn the cake out of the baking tin and place it on a wire rack to cool.
11. The final optional stage is to make the fruit cake more alcoholic. To do this, make lots of tiny incisions into the cake with either a knife or skewer. Using a teaspoon, pour a few spoonful’s of brandy over the cake.
12. Place the cake in an airtight container in a cool place. Every day for a week pour an additional two teaspoonful’s of brandy onto the cake.
13. The drunken fruit cake is ready for eating when it will soak up no more alcohol (about a week). Or when you can resist eating it no longer!
14. Serve with either fresh cream or custard.
The video below shows a drunken fruit cake being made.
Recipe for Drunken Fruit Cake
How to Make a Fruitcake
Quick Batter Mix Drunken Fruitcake (with Even More Alcohol)
If you prefer to bake with ready mixes, the video below shows you how.
The Gluttonous Maximus recipe ingredients for a drunken fruitcake are as follows.
1 packet vanilla pudding
½ cup oil
1 cup milk
2 shots whisky
Step 1. Mix all the above into a batter. Then add the fruit and nuts.
½ cup rum soaked raisins
½ cup brandy soaked cranberries
1 cup mixed nuts (walnuts and hazel nuts)
Step 2. Pour the batter into a greased cake ring.
Step 3. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
Step 4. Make a sugar glaze to pour over the baked cake.
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
2 shots whiskey
Step 5. Allow the glaze to soak into the cake for 70 minutes.
Step 6. Make a thin icing glaze as follows and drizzle on the cake.
1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar (icing sugar)
1 shot of alcohol or orange juice
This recipe serves 8 people. There is one shot of alcohol in each portion.