How to Make a Bloody Mary
The classic cocktail Bloody Mary was invented in 1921 at the legendary Harry’s New York Bar in Paris.
There are numerous version of bloody Mary – some are much hotter and spicier than the others. Ingredients may include horseradish sauce in addition to or instead of Tabasco sauce. More or less tomato juice and lime juice instead of lemon. Sometimes the glass is decorated with a sprig of mint.
It must have taken some courage to create the first one. It needs imagination to blend two such disparate drinks as fiery, crystal-clear vodka and thick, slightly lumpy tomato juice. Whatever the version , all experts agree that it is essential to use the highest quality ingredients and there’s no doubt it works , whatever way you make it.
Here is a starter's recipe for you to use.
What you need:
- Ice cubes
- Two parts vodka
- Six parts tomato juice
- A teaspoon of tomato sauce (ketsup)
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce
- A dash of Tabasco sauce
- A pinch of celery salt
- A stick of celery
- A dusting of finely ground white pepper
- Place four ice cubes in a cocktail shaker and add the vodka and tomato juice.
- Add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and celery salt.
- Shake well and strain into a highball glass.
- Decorate with a stick of celery.
- Finish with a light dusting of white pepper ( you could use black pepper instead but it looks very unappetizing, rather like cigar ash that has been sprinkled on the surface of the drink.
Bloody Mary Recipe No. 2
- 4-6 cracked ice cubes
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- 2 measures vodka
- 6 measures tomato juice
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of celery salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Put the cracked ice into a cocktail shaker. Dash the Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce over the ice and pour in the vodka, tomato juice and lemon juice. Shake vigorously until a frost forms.
- Strain into a tall, chilled glass, add a pinch of celery salt and a pinch of cayenne and decorate with a celery stick and a slice of lemon.
- Bloody Maria:
Substitute 2 measures white tequila for the vodka and add 1 teaspoon horseradish sauce and a pinch of ground coriander. Decorate with a lime wedge.
- Cold and Clammy Bloody Mary
Substitute 4 measures chilled beef stock for the tomato juice and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
CHEERS . . .
- What is Vodka? The word "vodka" comes from the Russian Zhiznennia voda which means water of life. Vodka is a pure spirit and can be distilled from a number of sources, including potatoes and sugar cane.
- Non Alcoholic Drinks
For those who prefer non-alcoholic drinks ...here are some ideas for your party.