How To Make a Dang Tasty MRE (Meal Ready To Eat)
MREs have a reputation as Meals Rejected by Everyone. And they can be pretty bland. But if you are at home, why not take these meals and make them awesome? Please keep in mind that these meals are like a blank slate. Since they tend towards blandness, we can add any flavor profile we want. If you don't care for something I'm adding please change it out for something you like better.
I'm working with a cheese tortellini MRE, but you can use these skills on any meal, now let's get cooking!
Time required: 15 Minutes
Cost: Price of MRE
- Salt Substitute or Salt
- Paper Plate
- Plastic Bowl
- Plastic spoons, forks
1. Cut open packaging, unbox you main dish, put into heater, add water, set up for time recommended, mine said 12 minutes.
2. Open up sides, plate up. Here there was garlic bread, garlic mashed potatoes and a cookie. Top sides with desired spices. Add a tad of butter, cookie included! I used salt, pepper and garlic along with butter on the potatoes, garlic and butter on the bread, and butter and the included apple jelly on the cookie.
3. Microwave sides and cookies for one minute.
4. In the mean time, take beverage powder and your desired sweetener add sparkling water.Make coffee, add your own sweetener and/or creamer as well.
5. Main dish ready? Plate up with spices and a tad of butter. I used garlic, butter, a tad of substitute salt and pepper.Put it all together and enjoy!