Pickle and Dried Beef Roll-ups
Pickle rolls are easy to make and an anticipated party appetizer. When making pickle rolls for a party, you'll want to create more than one, because one will disappear immediately.
Are you having guests over for a New Years party? Or are you planning a family get together or a family reunion? Do you want to take something for the tailgate party? Whenever we have a family get together it seems like someone will request the pickle roll.
Quite a few years ago, one of my sisters brought the pickle roll to a family reunion picnic and it was a huge success. Since that time we've made and eaten many, many pickle rolls. Of course it helps that my favorite pickle is the dill. And I like the dill pickle to have been made with garlic added. My mouth waters thinking about it.
The recipe that I am sharing isn't difficult but sometimes it's easier to understand if you can see pictures of the steps taken to make the pickle roll.
Pickle Roll Ingredients
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 pkgs. thin sliced beef or corned beef
- Dill pickles
- Stir together the cream cheese(should be room temperature), chopped onion, chopped olives, salt and cheddar cheese. Set aside.(I like to spread out a sheet of tinfoil to lay the meat on because it makes it easier to make the roll.)
- Lay out the meat in four overlapping rows. Spread with the cream cheese mixture.
- Place dill pickles end to end along one edge of the cream cheese covered meat.
- Starting on the pickle end, roll up the meat. Hold the roll together by placing toothpick speared whole green olives along the seam. Place close together so each slice of pickle roll has an olive speared toothpick.
Don’t throw out the juice when the dill pickles are eaten. Place peeled, hard boiled eggs in the jar and let them marinate overnight . They taste like deviled eggs. Very tasty. And a great snack.
Make the Filling
Pickle roll cream cheese filling. This is soooo good!
Beef Slices Layout
How to lay out beef slices. I like to use a sheet of tinfoil, it helps later when wanting to roll up the pickle roll.
Beef Slices Ready for Filling
Beef slices ready for filling.
Spread the Cheese Mixture
Spread the filling over the beef slices.
Line Up the Dill Pickles
Place dill pickles on edge of cream cheese filling.
Making the Roll
Start rolling the pickles into the cheese covered beef slices.
Toothpick Speared Olives
Pickle roll rolled and speared with green olives.
Slice and Serve
Slice the pickle roll and dig in. This will be the hit of your party snacks.
© 2011 Loraine Brummer